Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID please (with pic)

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 16:12

Hey there! Hoping someone could tell me what these bugs are and if they are "bad". Last week I found a couple on a peony and squashed them. The buds of the peony were getting eaten (sometimes all of it, sometimes just a circular hole or start of one) so I figured these were the culprits. Yes?
bugs
Today I found several dozen living (and mating, lol) on a nearby columbine. I figured I better find out what these things are quick before they lay more eggs!
So are they 'bad' bugs? Should I get rid of them and if so HOW? Pinch off like I did before? I try not to use chemical sprays unless it is a serious problem...

Thanks for any help!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID please (with pic)

Those look like maybe first or second instars of some sort of stink bug from here.

Dan

o

Since they're in the mating game, they're adults...but I'd be hard pressed to call these Coleoptera or Hemiptera.

It would be easy if we had a close-up of one of these things, hint hint. If one of the flower beetles (Coleoptera), they could be responsible for the holes in the petals. If stinkbug, true bug (Hemiptera), not.

Catch one, toss it in a cup of rubbing alcohol for a few minutes (or in the freezer) and take a picture.

o

I meant: I'd be hard pressed to decide WHICH to call them.

o

Sorry I can't get a closer pic than that. Hopefully they arn't any sort of good bug...last night I went and picked them all off and dunked them in soapy water/squashed them ;-) Not sure if it helps, but their length is right around 1/2 a cm. They also have a strange cilantro like scent when crushed?? Lol, I probably sound crazy, but that is what it smelled like!

Thanks for the possilbe ID's guys...
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here