Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Some MORE I.D. fun for the experts

You guys are probably getting sick of my by now, but I got to learn somehow.

First, Bug I.D.

It's a flier. I know the zoom(focus) isn't the greatest, but I thought maybe you guys might know.

Next, the discoloration along the stalk. Once again, my pic taking abilities are about as bad as I.D. Has a rust tint to it. Mechanical maybe?

And finally.... I find a tomato here and there with these pock marks. I've always wondered -- any ideas?

Oh... I also see these little flies smaller than the typical hover flies, but they "sort of" hover also. They have a reddish hue. Not sure if it's wasp or not, or just a type of fly. Probably too vague, huh?

Thanks

Kevin

Comments (12)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Kevin, no idea. the red one is ready for the kitchen :-)

Good luck to find a solution and the id of the buggy.

Caelian

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing??? Jean001, Rhizo1, ken, etc?

OK... How about this guy? Found him/her "expired" and I thought it was awfully large to be just a common housefly. About 2-3 times the size. Don't tell me it's just a large housefly. I don't want to be wasting your time. By the way, it was found on my cantaloupes.... if that helps.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL... Ok... then how about these 2??

Ladybug larva, right?

Thanks.

Kevin

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'll give you the answers, but you have to match them to the correct insect, ok? It's a test.

Wheel bug nymph

One of the many Tachinid fly species

Ladybug larva

All three are beneficials!

I can't place your first insect....the flier.

Original Author
    10 years ago

ok! ... Thanks Rhizo : )

The ladybug larva I already guessed right. The expired Fly is the Tachinid, and the Wheel Bug nymph is the one in the jar. So, are all tachinids pretty large. I was under the assumption they were tiny.

Pretty nasty sting I just found out about Wheel bugs, huh? That's great! Since I go barefoot in the garden 90% of the time.

Oh... the flier that you didn't get... could it possibly be a hover fly that has it's wings closed? Because it's what I assumed was hover flies. I just can't get a good pic of one in flight.

Here's another one for I.D.--- he looked like he wasn't taking the weather too great.

Once again, Thanks rhizo1. Your help is totally appreciated!

Kevin

10 years ago

Tachnids vary enormously in their appearance.....but they include some of tbe ugliest insects I've ever seen.

Your original insect isn't saying hover fly to me.....at least from the image. They are marked something like teensy bees.

About the wheel bug....I don't 'think ' you'll have much trouble with them on tbe ground. The graduate assistants in my entomology classes at Va. Tech used to give extra credit to anyone who included a wheel bug in their senior collection, lol.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks rhizo1.

I'll try to get a pic of one in flight. They just won't "hover" still for very long and I have a hard enough time getting a motionless insect in the camera phone frame...LOL

Any clue what my last pic is?

By the way, pics I saw of a wheel bug adult are pretty alien looking.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:15

• lenahall
    10 years ago

is this a hover fly also? they are good guys, right?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Could be lena.. hard to tell. Not as hard to tell from MY pic, though...LOL I THINK the best way to identify is that their bodies have the markings of bees. And yes... hoverflies are good guys.

I'll let the experts chime in though.

Kevin

10 years ago

Can't really tell much from that picture, lena. Another possibility is a Long Legged Fly. You'll have to look those up to compare since you are the only one to see what you've got. Long Leggeds are good guys, too.

• lenahall
    10 years ago

i googled long legged flies, and that does look more like them than the hover flies... they are a beautiful iridescent color... thanks for the info!! i love learning who's doing what in my little garden!! i also found this page (albeit texas based, but the pics help!) http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-25_long-legged_flies.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: tx aggie horticulture

10 years ago

That's a very good web site, lena. I love seeing long legged flies in my garden, they are sooo pretty for something so tiny. I couldn't tell from your picture if yours was iridescent or not but it had the posture of one of those little guys.

I've seen them in all of those colors listed and brilliant copper, as well.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting