Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose chafer

Posted by BRIGHTCLOVER 49770 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 16:18

HI.
WE HAVE TERRIBLE problems with rose chafers. I have sprayed with Dr. Bronner's to kill the adults as they are feeding and mating; it works.. .time consuming. coverings are helpful.
Has anyone used Surround on fruit trees, shrubs, blackberries, grapes. .etc? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose chafer

I have used Surround on my veggies to protect against sun scald, heat stress, and chewing pests like Japanese beetles. It is widely used by commercial growers of many kinds of fruits and veggies.

I sprayed it on our Allee elm a few years back when the beetles were so bad and it worked like a charm. The only issue with using it on the ornamentals is that it's not the most attractive stuff for a few weeks.

o

I have used Surround on my veggies to protect against sun scald, heat stress, and chewing pests like Japanese beetles. It is widely used by commercial growers of many kinds of fruits and veggies.

I sprayed it on our Allee elm a few years back when the beetles were so bad and it worked like a charm. The only issue with using it on the ornamentals is that it's not the most attractive stuff for a few weeks.

o

thank you. do you have a favorite or cheaper place to buy it? i just returned from another smushing session, and it's kind of nauseating.

o

If you have an agricultural supply outlet in your town, or a co-op, you might give them a call.

o

Surround is one brand name for a mixture of kaolin clay that is sprayable. There may be others, or you might be able to just purchase some Kaolin clay and mix your own.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Kaolin Clay

o

You cannot mix your own clay and expect it to do what the commercial product does, kimmsr. This kaolin has been through manufacturing processes that make it work. It's light, refined, it breathes, it adheres, it allows light to penetrate. When mixed with water, it is sprayable with little agitating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here