Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onewomanarmy_gw

coleus cut off at the knees (er...the ground)

onewomanarmy
10 years ago

I had some very nice coleus' (colei?) in our shade garden. To my dismay, I looked out yesterday and saw that they were all laying on the ground. Upon closer inspection, they were all laying on the ground because they had been chewed off at the ground. All the sweet, bright little leaves laying all in a pile. :( Didn't appear that anything had eaten on the leaves at all, and it's not like it's been that dry that a rabbit would be so thirsty that my coleus was the first thing that came to mind (though I've not actually spoken to any rabbits on this subject and maybe to them a coleus really does come to mind when they think about knocking back with a cool drink).

Anyone know what would have taken my coleus down to the ground like this?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i hope you stuck them in water.. they would have rooted in about 3 hours...lol.. well a week ...

i would even go so far as pulling them out of the garbage and giving it a try ...

rabbits are idiots ... whether you talk to them or not .. lol ...

ken

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Sounds like cutworms....check just below the soil level where the plant was to see if he's curled up there.

Ian

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

If the plants were fairly small, atems less then pencil size, cutworms would be my first thought if the tops were still laying there. Plants with stems the size of you index finger are apparently too large for the cutworms.
    If rabbits were to eat Coleus, never did in my garden, they would not leave the tops.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

for me in MI ... i thought cutworm was an early spring problem.. like april ... and they pupated by now ... and turned into whatever evil bug they are ...

are they really still around???

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Many types of larvae fall under the cutworm umbrella so, yes, some are still around. Some are still eating my hosta!

tj

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

perhaps the attached link might be of some help, Ken.

Here is a link that might be useful: About cutworms

• onewomanarmy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, I thought the cutworm answer sounded likely. Decided to try a couple more coleus in that bed, using straws at the stem to try to keep the cutworms from wrapping around the stems. I wasn't home when the coleus were planted and so when my partner went to the window to point out the newly replaced plants, I heard a gasp and then saw a blur across the kitchen as she shot out the door. Turns out there was a big ol' rabbit sitting there chewing down the newly planted coleuses - not two hours after they had been put in the ground. Half of a knee high plant already taken down (straws still standing). Leaves piled up neatly beside it.

Certainly wasn't because it has been dry here, and it certainly didn't seem to be eating much (if any) of the plant/leaves, and I don't believe she was carrying any of the leaves and stems back to do some sort of home...er den DIY...so my only guess is that animals have learned from the human race and are now into conspicuous consumption or it was revenge for our dogs chasing them out of the back yard. (they are border collies, they are only trying to put the rabbits in a corner, not eat them)

Stupid rabbids. *shaking fist*

(there are now ugly wire cages around my pretty little coleuses)