Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yiorges_z5il

'Fungal' blight on Aristocrat ornamental pear.

yiorges-z5il
11 years ago

I am very familar with "fire-blight" in pears BUT this is different. no "sheepards crook" no dark brown/black branch tips & reddis brown under the bark...

The tips are a lighter color & the leaves are brown. not responsive to a anti-biotic treatment....but stops further infection with a systemic fungicide.

The problem first came to my attention last summer (2011) & is very common this year.....any suggestions

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

get rid of the tree???

its ornamental.. why are you poisoning mother earth over it???

of the millions of ornamental trees.. BETTER THAN flowering pear.. you cant find a single thing to fill the spot???

crimminey ...

ken

• calliope
    11 years ago

If you didn't think it was fire blight, why did you treat it with an antibiotic? I'm really curious as to what anitbiotic you were able to obtain for treatment, and how you were able to figure out a dosage. The stuff sold to orchardists would treat acres. I think I know what you are talking about, though. I have seen it mildly on some fruit trees this year and frankly as the season progressed they grew out of it. I blamed it on some extraordinarily freaky weather this spring. I had the same run of fruit trees on a bench in the greenhouse I had not set out yet, and they were symptomless, but then again, I have controlled temps in there.

• yiorges-z5il
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calliope 6: The antibiotic is oxytetracycline. There is a company that has been around for at least 20 years that prepares this & other products in measured doses. Then its "injected" just below the bark (into the cambian) & then goes through out the tree.
    I tried the antibiotic first & it didnot work so went to a fungicide.
    Yes our weather has been strange this year We have field grown ornamental pear for 20+ years & the city recommends them & other species for street plantings this is the first problem we have noted.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am really happy to see that a company will do the measured 'smaller' dose. Needs to be done more often and would save a lot of mis-use for the less common treatments but still makes them available on a smaller scale.

It does bother me that a city recommends this tree for mass plantings. A nearby town did this once not so long ago, and I don't think there is one of them left standing. They also installed some trees with the potential of becoming massive into some fancy ornamental grates, and extremely near to buildings. Looked super for awhile, but the eventual and inevitable 'un-installation' is a major hidden cost.

If you are field growing ornamentals, then it would be worth the cost and effort to send off some samples to a diagnostic lab for pathogen confirmation. It's getting harder and more cost prohibitive than it used to be in our state, due to budget cut-backs, but it may save you some time and $. Like said, however, I did see this a bit in my very young plantings this year, but sat on it before any applications of anything and the issue resolved spontaneously.