Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia leaves turning dark

Posted by Wookiem Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 16:36

Hi,

Last year, the leaves on my magnolia tree started turning red and eventually black before falling off mid-way through the summer. I'm starting to see the same discolouration this year and have uploaded photos hoping someone out there can offer advice on treatment.

Thanks,
Kevin

Image link: Magnolia leaves turning dark (37 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia leaves turning dark

Please post more images. Start with the tree overall, and an entire affected branch.

o

• Posted by Wookiem Sourthern Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 9:03

Here are a few more photos. I'm not sure if the insect is relevant, but I saw several of the same insect on quite a few leaves yesterday (didn't see any this morning).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40330907/Art - Indoor/photo-12.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40330907/Art - Indoor/photo-11.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40330907/Art - Indoor/photo-8.JPG

Kevin

o

new leaf growth is often red tinged ... and that is the newest leaf ...

i bet in a few days.. it will turn green ...

i used to know why red comes before green.. but i cant remember ...

ken

o

Your pics:

o

The insect -- a fly -- isn't damaging the tree.

As for the red leaves, I agree with Ken. But if they're blackening then dropping, something is wrong. Perhaps water -- too much or too little?

But you said "later in the summer" which could be an entirely different problem such as in a leaf spot disease of one kind or another. Post images of that when it occurs.

o

• Posted by Wookiem Southern Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 6:19

Thanks Jean. It's a relief to learn that nothing is amiss at this point. Will definitely re-post if things change.

Kevin

o

It's been 2 months since my original post. Quite a few leaves have rusty and/or black spots on them and quite a few have already dropped onto the ground.

It's been a hot, dry sum me and I've been drip irrigating every other day at 6am.

Any thoughts?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

A tree like that has been in the ground for a couple years shouldn't need extracurricular watering unless it doesn't rain for more than a month. If your grass is still alive, it's not dry enough to worry about trees. I would turn off the irrigation. Light watering done very often like that can cause the tree to make too many weak roots near the surface instead of seeking water deep below ground, as they are supposed to. If/when your tree genuinely needs water added, letting it drip slowly all night would be best, then wait weeks to do it again (if it still hasn't rained.)

o

Thanks Purpleinopp. - I've backed off the watering.

Do you think that this alone will prevent the recurrence of the leaf turning rusty and dying next season?

Kevin

o

...looking for my magic 8 ball...

o

I'm always highly suspicious of drip irrigation. I don't think that many people know how to measure output....or even how to set up a drip system for trees. Perhaps your soil is getting dribbled on in a few places....but never enough to soak the soil? It's possible to run a drip system every day and still leave the soil/root system parched.d

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here