Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

quail or rodents eating plants?

jadeite
10 years ago

I've searched this forum looking for anyone with a similar problem, but I've found nothing. We live in the Southwest, surrounded by wildlife. Our backyard has a walled garden which was badly neglected. We've been working hard to improve the soil, remove weeds and plant shrubs and perennials.

We have bird feeders (2) close to the wall. Quail come over the wall regularly to eat seed fallen from the feeders and drink from the birdbaths. They also eat some of the plants (I believe). Last year they pecked some portulaca right down to the ground.

I have some sedum plants in pots, to go into the garden as we get it ready. Over the past few days, something is eating the leaves of the sedum. I didn't think anything would eat sedum but I have several bare stalks with every leaf eaten. Could this be quail?

My annuals have also been eaten, right down to the soil. We found droppings which look like rodents. There is a big pack rat population, as well as deer mice.

AFAIK we don't have voles or other rodents eating roots. The leaves and eventually the stalks are eaten.

I'm about to try spraying the plants with a homemade liquid fence in hopes of keeping the rabbits off. Would this work on the quail and/or rodents as well? What else can I do to stop this, other than a shotgun?

Thanks,
Cheryl