Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of ants and aphids

Posted by aileen0821 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:01

Hi, needing some advice. I am plagued with ants and aphids.
Had notice my apple tree around the leaves and flowers were black.
On closer inspection was full aphids but with the aphids is ants running up and down the trunk to them. With all this inspecting I found the far bush in my garden covered with the same thing. Was able to take a pic which I have uploaded with this.
I also have another bush which is the same but no aphids no ants, but with the insect that grows inside spit. Don't know the reason maybe someone can shed some light on this but also tell me how I can get rid of them in a safe way.
Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of ants and aphids

get rid of the aphids.. and the ants will mind their own business ...

on small plants.. hose them off ...

ken

o

To expand what ken said, the aphids secretes a sweet substance that the ants feed on, so as Ken says ...get rid of the aphids and you will get rid of the ants by spraying them with water or using insecticidal soap.....
As for the "critter in the spit".....it is a spittle bug that is sucking the plant juices from your plant and is protected by the frothy foam......best way to rid them is to wash them off with water....

Here is a link that might be useful: spittle bug

o

Aphids are attracted to new, lush, growth but can be fairly easily controlled by knocking them off plants with a sharp spray of water. Some people think when you do this the Aphids just return, but they do not. you will see the next generation of the wee buggers, however, and they will require being knocked off as well.
The ants are not a big problem, and sometimes might help with pollination as well as control of some insect pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here