Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What causes small mud nests under eaves?

Posted by karyn 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:01

We are getting our house cleaned up to show/sell so I went out front to pressure wash off the mud bee/wasp nests and cobwebs, only to discover that the water melted away the lump of mud/nest but revealed what now looks like bullet holes where the paint also came off the stucco underneath and left a hole(s) in the middle! The mud broke down the paint. :-(

I suppose if the previous owner had caught these early they could have hosed them off before they did damage - but what are they? Hornets? Mud Daubers? Any way to make them keep away in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What causes small mud nests under eaves?

wait for it.. mud daubers???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: finally... something with a relevant name.. lol ..

o

Yep, mud daubers. I am fascinated by the blue spider killer ones. They make the mud tube, lay an egg in it, then before sealing up the entry, they stick a paralyzed spider (they sting it) inside for the larva to eat. We have a lot of them around here, and I love to watch them hunt spiders. I've watched as they fly up to a spider web, and shake the web to mimic an insect caught in the web, and when the spider comes out....BAM! The wasp stings it, and after movement stops, it carries the spider away.

Joe

o

Im going to have nightmares tonight.

o

You should see the spider killing wasps we have around here. They scare the heck out of me. They're massive. The spiders they kill are as big as the palm of your hand.
After the wasp stings the spider, the bloody thing picks it up and flies away with it.
Horrible things.

Anyway, back on topic... I don't know how to repel wasps, but I think hosing off the nests as soon as you see them is probably a good idea!

This post was edited by PatchyJack on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:08

o

*makes mental note never, EVER, to visit wherever it is Patchy Jack is from*

o

Australia.
Where else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here