Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Where Did My Ladybugs Go To?

littleonefb
15 years ago

I had a beautiful lupine plant that was a second year blooming for me full of at least 30 blooming stems on it.

Then I noticed the Aphids, on it and some damage. Never had aphids in my gardens before, nor had I ever seen then before till this year.

After a week of hose spraying and soaking with soapy water, I resorted to buying a container of 1500 ladybugs from a local nursery and let them all out on the lupine.

No doubt they where the happiest ladybugs in town as they had millions of aphids to eat. They started doing "their job" right away and stayed right on the plant eating away for 2 weeks.

Then "chuck" the neighbors groundhog came for breakfast and in less than 30 minutes, he had destroyed the entire plant. Most of the stems where eaten, leaves chewed off and stems totally bent.

Next thing I knew, i couldn't see any ladybugs on the plant, but there where tons and tons of aphids all over the plant, the bent stems and on the bark mulch.

It's been a week and there where still no ladybugs on the lupine and the infestation of aphids was worse than ever. I finally cut the plant down to the ground on Sunday, tossed all the stems into a plastic bag, tied it up and tossed it in the trash. then I soaked all the aphids that I could find on the what was left of the plant and the ground.

So far there are no aphids on any other plants in that garden bed.

Does anyone have any idea why the ladybugs where there on the lupine just before "chuck, the groundhog" ate the plant and afterwards there are none, even though there where tons and tons of aphids for them to eat?

Thanks for any info

Fran

Lupine blooming

{{gwi:396266}}

Lupine after "Chuck"

{{gwi:364098}}

Lupine after i cut it down

{{gwi:396811}}

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Since ladybugs are perfectly able to fly away when disturbed, I suspect that they did just that. They can be nervous little things.

• watergal
    15 years ago

At least they stuck around for two weeks. Mine have never hung around for more than a day.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Your Lady Beetles went someplace where there was food and shelter. What have you done to provide a good habitat for them, and other beneficial insects?

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kimmsr, my garden had plenty of food and shelter for the ladybugs. The lupine itself was infested with aphids when i bought the ladybugs and they where quite content to be there until the groundhog arrived and did it's thing. They actually had the aphid infestation under fairly good control.

As for habitat for them, that particular bed has marigolds, dill, chives, right beside the lupines and right next to the bed is another bed full of cosmos and another one with statice and coreopsis and dandelions in the lawn.

next to the lupines where zinnias also that had aphids all on it and the ladybugs where on the zinnias as well.

I use no pesticides of any kind, nor do any of my neighbors, and my gardens are full of all kinds of good and bad bugs, butterflies, caterpillars, bees, birds etc. The only unwanted guests are the groundhogs, chipmunks and an infestation of aphids and the misquitos.

I tend to think that "chuck" scared the living dickins out of them and they high tailed it out of here real quick. Can't blame them for that one.

Fran

• MooCow222
    11 years ago

Just buy some more ladybugs and set them free, if you control that hedgehog with a trap then your ladybugs will stick around.

Since you said you have more than enough food for the ladybugs. Also 1500 ladybugs is not really that many, you need like 10,000 lady bugs... on each plant.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Good grief!

• plaidbird
    11 years ago

Bad Chuck, bad, bad Chuck !
    You go to your room and think about what you have done and don't come out until you can apologize.

About the ladybugs... Don't give up yet.

When ladybugs are shipped and stored ready for you to purchase, they are kept refrigerated so they don't get hungry. (all except that ride in the UPS truck, when they must wake up and get confused, poor dears ).

So once you bought them and brought them home, then released them at a wonderful food source, they most often eat for awhile then lay eggs. It's obviously a great spring in their thoughts.

So keep an eye out for eggs, larva, and pupa. In fact, if the plastic bag you tossed is still there, I would go and check there, since they lay the eggs where the larva will find food. I will find a picture for you and add a link.

And a story:

Back in the early 1980's we had a severe freezing spell here in Portland, and it seemed not only was the bag bug situation greatly improved that year, our local neighborhood colony of ladybugs had gone missing. Fortunately my neighbors , like yours, do not use chemicals in their yards, and we have a group of us that all garden and compare notes over the years.

What we did was agree between four households, to each buy a min.of one bag of ladybugs per month of the garden season. That put at least one bunch out each week. It seemed to have worked since they where here, though smaller in number than before the following spring, with a nice increase for several years after.

We'll never really know if it was our combined efforts or if the natural population somehow had stayed very well hidden, leaving the aphids to party on, or if it was our plan that worked. Personally I think it was us. Ya team. :)

EDIT :Oh, oh... didn't look at the date of the original post. 2008 ! I guess the bag of plant shards has been picked up by the trash guys now. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures as promised

This post was edited by plaidbird on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 23:21