Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sudden whole plant wilt

Posted by kymmie2 Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 17:22

In the past week we have had 3 plants suddenly wilt and while the butterfly bush bounced back some now, the black beauty elderberry died quickly, and the cardinal plant is just wilting now so I don't yet know the outcome. The plants are quite a distance apart, one on each side of the house actually with other closer plants. Using a magnifying glass, the bottoms of the leaves show a little white stuff and a few black spots. The butterfly bush that is recovering some still shows the stuff on the bottom of the still yellow leaves, but the new growth that started at the ends of the branches doesn't and that growth is green and healthy.

Got any thoughts what may be happening that is causing this? I do plan to contact the extension agent tomorrow before we lose more plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sudden whole plant wilt

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 18:23

Any chance of pictures?

In the meantime, some questions:
Any unusual weather, as in too dry, too wet, or even too cold, the latter this past winter?
When were they planted?

o

Nothing but WAGs without pix and more info.

Dan

o

Another question...any lawn treatments lately?

tj

o

Definitely check with your Extension agent, but my guesses, based on experience only, are mites on the Buddleia, Southern Blight on the Cardinal Flower and that or another root disorder (rot likely) on the Sambucus. This is after ruling out problems related to the installation, moisture, etc. If your agent/office can't find a sign of any of the above, then please ignore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here