Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

The asiatic garden beetles have destroyed everything!

dkgarber
13 years ago

Its been 3 years that I've been battling these suckers. I thought it was chafers (they look JUST like asiatic beetles), then I thought it was slugs...now, I am sure 100% its asiatic garden beetles.

My garden gets along fine all spring, but then every late June, I start to lose plants. This year was no different and it was the same plants as last year--my coral bells, all my herbs, yarrow, salvias, goldenrods. Some plants have NO foliage left--just the spine of the leaves.

I've been out at night, and the plants are LOADED w/the buggers. I hate them. I hate them!!

I used to do grub control, and haven't done it the pastfew years, so I guess that could be my problem. I don't care much about the lawn, but I can't have my precious perrenials devoured like this every year.

I 've never seen a japanese beetle, so i guess I am lucky in that regard.

ANyone else fighting these bugs? My neighbors are all w/out nibbles. I sprayed everything w/neem, which i hate to do b/c I am not into pest control, but I am hoping to make the plants unpalpatable at this point. My slug baits are also trapping the beetles-apparently they like saucers of beer b/c i find dozens of them drowned every morning. No slugs though!!

Between the deer, rabbits and beetles, i am not sure why I bother. I can't keep the pests away! Add the fact that we haven't had significant rain fall in almost 2 weeks, and my garden is a mmess!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living