Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's damaging my hydrangea leaves?

Posted by SMS77 Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:31

About 1/3 of my hydrangea leaves have been all cut up by some insect. I found a little green insect on the leaf, about the size of an aphid, but with longer legs and walking around (couldn't figure out how to post 2 photos), but I don't know if that's what's causing this. Anyone seen leaf damage like this before? The damaged leaves eventually turn light green/yellow, then die. I want to catch it before it kills the whole plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's damaging my hydrangea leaves?

OK, here's the little insect I found on the leaf.

o

The insect is an aphid.

The damage looks like hail damage from a while ago.

o

Yes, it is some sort of mechanical damage and aphids can't chew leaves.

o

Really, mechanical damage? I guess that is good news, if that's what it is. We don't really get a lot of hail around here, so that's surprising. We just moved into this house about a month ago though, so maybe something happened before we moved in that I don't know about. And I didn't think that aphids were quite as mobile as this little insect is. He moves sideways really fast. OK, well thanks for the input!

o

3 choices... insect... disease ... mechanical ...

so they have ruled out two ... and do understand mechanical does NOT necessarily mean a machine ...

i have had such damage on hosta.. not only from hail... but also twigs falling out of a carp tree in a wind storm.. acorn bombing.. etc ...

when gravity is involved.. its called mechanical ...

ken

ps: any insane squirrel building a nest above???

o

There IS actually a large maple tree above it. There are other plants nearby (including a huge hosta) which don't have similar damage, but it does look like only the older leaves on the hydrangea were affected, so maybe some branches fell during a wind storm before the hosta sprouted this year, for example. I never would have thought of mechanical damage, and my nearby garden center didn't know was this was, so I appreciate that Garden Web came through. Thanks! And I never realized there were fast-moving aphids. I've only ever seen slow/motionless ones. But it doesn't seem like there are too many of them on the hydrangea anyway, luckily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here