Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this damage root rot fungus?

Posted by sharingsunshine zone7/VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 17:38

Last year we noticed a couple of our butterfly bushes had yellowing leaves as rust-colored spotting covered them - then they would dry up to brown and remain on the stalk. It seemed to creep up the plant from the ground since the top parts looked normal. There weren't many blooms. This year it seems to have hit the same bushes and a few more and it's moving very quickly before they even get a chance to bloom. We have 9 in various locations. I'm really concerned since we love our butterflies and would hate to lose these sources of nectar. I've taken a picture of the leaf as it gets its spotted appearance. Can anybody help and tell me what we can do about this?

Image link: Is this damage root rot fungus? (27 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this damage root rot fungus?

No, not root rot.

Does look like water stress though.

Although I can't imagine why as Butterfly bushes in my region get along without supplemental water all through our no-rainfall summers.

Unless of course, your shrubs were planted in the past several years.

o
RE: Is this damage root rot fungus?

The bushes have been in for many years -- at least 8. We had a couple of weeks of rain for awhile but they were looking really great then. We've not had rain for the past 10 days and this has happened during that period of time. Of course, I guess it can take time to produce the problem after the rain? None of them have been watered other than rain. All I could find online was about root rot fungus. They seem to be dying off so much faster than last year when they kinda held on and produced some flowers. I kept cleaning them up and pulling off all the dead leaves so they'd look okay, but they never really did "well" ya know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here