Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvasshep

Round yellow insect eggs?

pvasshep
10 years ago

Hi -

I just found these round yellow insect eggs underneath a chenopodium leaf and am wondering what they are.

Thanks.

--Kathy

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

rhiz must have missed this one.. and it almost fell off page one???

bumping it back up.. and taking a WAG at stinkbug larvae ...

ken

• jean001a
    10 years ago

I suspect caterpillar eggs.
    Have they hatched yet? If so, please post an image of the kids.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I didn't post because I don't know! :-) There are too many possibilities. They are probably moth eggs or one of the true bugs.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Whatever they are, they're beautiful. Hard to think that they may grow into something that devastates your plant(s).

Kevin

10 years ago

Kevin, I agree! Insect eggs are among the most beautiful and mysterious little vessels in the world. Even more so if examined under a simple dissecting microscope.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out!

10 years ago

i figured as much rhiz ....

but i always feel bad for a poster.. when a post hangs out there with no response ... speculation if better that ignoring them ...

like i said in some other post.. argue with me.. debate me.. but God forbid .. dont ignore me.. lol ...

BTW.. woohoo makes a presumption that many of us dont ... not everything will devastate a crop ... such is a population issue ... if that is all your eggs.. so what ... if that type of deposit is on every leaf.. watch out.. lol... the real issue is how long the cycle takes ... and how fast they multiply .. etc ...

ken

10 years ago

Ken...LOL

I didn't presume. That's why I used the word "may.." Perhaps I should've emphasized. I've come a long way in the last couple years of wanting to kill anything crawling in the garden.

Now... I still spray BT religiously and i will be spraying the hell out of everything with soap and neem if I get my yearly whiteflies -- late summer awaits!

Kevin

10 years ago

Pretty awesome pics Rhizo. They're all laid out so "tidy" and geometric.

Kevin

10 years ago

Ken...I don't usually make a post unless I have something reasonably productive to offer...unanswered questions usually stay at the top so that more people get a chance to view the problem....instead of sinking.

:-)

10 years ago

yeah rhiz.. i know.. and i started all this by noting.. for some reason this was going unanswered AND falling off page one ...

ken

10 years ago

Are you being a little 'touchy '? I'm glad you caught this post before it disappeared, my good friend.

• Chris White Symonds
    4 years ago

Did we ever figure out what these eggs hatch into? I have same ones on underside of my tomato plant and would love to know.....

• maybeegirl
    4 years ago

wow, 6 years after original post. found on tropical milkweed, on 7/21/19. I contained them with their own milkweed. I now have tiny white caterpillars that apparently are eating the milkweed. I don’t understand why these are so hard to identify on an internet search.

4 years ago

More likely Milkweed Tussock moth eggs.

• Chris White Symonds
    4 years ago

Thank you - have not seen any of the tiger moths here in Massachusetts. The eggs hatched - tiny green caterpillars - but they died in my container - guess they didn't like the tomato plant for food. I will keep my eye out for the milkweed tussock moth and its caterpillars. Thank you!

• Chris White Symonds
    4 years ago

Thank you!!!

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    4 years ago

I think I remember seeing on some documentary that Milkweed was a crucial plant for Monarch butterflies as they are on their migration routes. I don’t know though you if that referred to the foliage for the eggs and caterpillars or the flowers for the butterflies.

Could these little hatchlings be Monarchs? I searched it but could only find pictures of caterpillars much further along in their development.