Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagekl

Help! Holes in my lawn

pagekl
17 years ago

Help! I need some help in identifying what's causing the holes in my lawn. It's hard to tell because I have a dog who usually gets to the holes before I do so they're generally a lot bigger after he's done digging. I haven't noticed any mounds in the lawn so I don't think it's gophers but I have come out a couple of times and found very neat little 2" holes with small piles of dirt next to them. These holes were small enough and neat enough that I'm sure my dog did not dig them. But my dog (who hasn't normally been much of a digger until we moved here) has been going nuts and digging large trenches around these holes so I think he's after something. Plus when you look into some of the trenches he's dug, there is definitely some sort of small tunnel down there. I live in southern California and we do have possums and squirrels in the yard. But my dog does chase pretty much everthing that moves in the backyard and he has caught a couple of birds. I would be surprised if it were a ground squirrel -- I just don't know how they'd get past the dog. Up until this last week, we'd go a week or two between holes popping up. I'd fill them and then in another week or two, the dog (or so I thought) had dug another (the previous holes did not reappear just new ones). I thought it was just the dog but recently I noticed some holes that I think I saw before he got to them -- they just didn't look like he could have dug them. Too small and too clean. Any ideas?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting