Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
D-Con for Chipmunks?

Posted by tmrrs Marylad (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 17:48

I've been reading all of the solutions for getting rid of chipmunks on the "Effective chipmunk-ground squirrel control" thread, and have a question about using D-Con. (I already posted it there, but then got a message that the forum was "full" and I should start a new thread, so here it is.)

If I leave D-Con in my garden, will the chipmunks bury it in the beds like they seem to do with the sunflower seeds they raid? (I used to joke that I had a chipmunk farmer and thought it was really cute. It's not cute any more!) I'm afraid that they will bury it in my herb & vegetable garden, their favorite place to dine, and in turn poison MY FAMILY!

I once used D-Con to spike some pumpkin chunks after the munks/squirrels destroyed my kid's jack-o-lantern, even with hot pepper sauce all over it. This was by the front door, however, not anywhere near the backyard garden, and also after I had harvested for the year. It worked great, but I'm worried about putting this stuff so close to where my family gets our food from.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Meantime, I'm heading outside to set up a lovely little "swimming pool."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: D-Con for Chipmunks?

There are numerous reports of non-targeted animals who die of warfarin poisoning from rat and mice baits. This includes family pets, especially dogs. Small children would be at risk as well. It moves up the food chain. If a chipmunk ate it, it won't die immediately, and if another animal ate the chipmunk it will be poisoned as well.

Poisoned baits in unsecured places are not a good idea at all.

o

Have to agree with calliope. Birds of prey are very vulnerable and they are naturally helping to keep the numbers down.

tj

o

skip the chemicals... rat trap baited with peanut butter... placed next to a hole.. and covered with a large pot [to protect other animals] ....

i thought i had millions.. and after i removed about 4 ... the problem was 90% better... i quit at that point...

they are hyperactive terrorists.. but we dont need to nuke the yard to solve the problem ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here