Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes disappearing, and bean beetles

Posted by Weicker 6a PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:50

I had 2 orange grape tomatoes on my biggest plant, just a couple days shy of being harvested... the first tomatoes since putting in my new garden this year! Went out to water today, and the entire branch is gone. :(

The way they chomed the branch looked just like the way the branches on my dwarf apple tree disappear... so I'm blaming the deer.

Any good, budget friendly remedies to keep the deer away?? I have 4 raised beds in the back garden, ranging from 4x4 to 4x10. Constructed with 2x8s. Plus an additional 8x20 bed in the front (just potatoes and brassicas in that one,) half a dozen container tomatoes, and a lone dwarf apple tree that I've never gotten a ripe apple from.

I can't afford an all-out fence right now, and I haven't managed to get any posts/stakes hammered deep enough into my clay soil to make them sturdy.

Started noticing holes in my bush beans yesterday as well. I was out hand-picking little brown and black spotted beetles from those this morning. Not sure if there's a more effective method of managing those?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes disappearing, and bean beetles

If you have problems with deer you may want to watch this video from PBS Nature. The only solution I have found that works is to cage individual plants to keep the deer, rabbits, or whatever else away. The video shows deer leaping over a 9 foot high fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: the private life of deer

o

The beetles you described should be eliminated with Spinosad. I use it on many veggie crops, it's organic. Keyword in smile.amazon.
Good luck to you :)
*Kimmsr's video is awesome, if I had deer issues, I'd go with that :)

o

Thank you!!

Waiting on my Spinosad to be delivered. Hope it gets here soon! The beans have attracted another new pest... some kind of black fly looking things (not beetles) that multiplied like crazy overnight. The beans were looking really rough today.

I picked up a bottle of Liquid Fence. It's been raining, so haven't applied it yet... but I'm hoping that might solve the deer and rabbit issue. (My black seeded simpson lettuce got chomped now too!)

I'll definitely be figuring out some kind of fencing for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here