Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of snake is this?

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 17:56

Don't dare to get too close to this snake. So the pictures are blurry even for the close-up by using the zoom-in lenses. What kind of snake is this on my cucumber vines?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of snake is this?

Look up Brown Snake to see if that's a match. I wish that I had snakes in my garden.

o

What about a gopher snake? It looks pretty young yet.

o

Good. As long as it is not venomous. Thank you both

o

Wish you had snakes, rhizo? We killed a cottonmouth a few feet away from my Mom's front door yesterday. If I had known, we could have saved him for ya! You probably only want non-killers, though, I hope!

o

I've had more than my fair share of meetings with poisonous snakes, having lived along the coast of SC for a great many years. I've had battles with cottonmouths as well as diamondback rattlers. They grow pretty darned big in those swampy areas of the Lowcountry, lol.

But I really do have an affection for snakes, in general. I used to have a good sized corn snake that lived somewhere around my rental home in Beaufort, SC. It would come out and bask on my front porch. Many nights, it would be there when I came home from teaching in the evening...or from a date. On two occasions, that snake saved me the trouble of having to convince a date that I really WAS tired, thank you very much! lolol

o

LOL! That really separates the men from the boys!

I've had a pet corn snake twice but the first one escaped and the 2nd one only lived about a year. Those are cute and pretty, IMO, as far as snakes go.

o

google garden snakes and look at the picture. also see garter snake. they have no teeth and are not poisonous.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:18

I will tell you what kind of snake that is....dead!
By the way, I had a buddy once who caught a 3-4 foot garter snake, and after biting him on the tip of his index finger, his finger was bleeding like a garden hose. If it wasn't teeth, then I dont know what would be able to penetrate skin.

o

Snakes are carnivores. They should be expected to have teeth of some sort. I'm sorry your buddy was so foolish, but I expect he knows better now. Garters also have fang like teeth in the back of their mouth. However, they are very unlikely to attack a human, or even bite someone who is gently handling them.

o

Snakes are carnivores. They should be expected to have teeth of some sort. I'm sorry your buddy was so foolish, but I expect he knows better now. Garters also have fang like teeth in the back of their mouth. However, they are very unlikely to attack a human, or even bite someone who is gently handling them.

o

It's a Midland Brown Snake. They are very small, harmless, nonvenomous snakes. The little one in the picture is most likely an adult (they are about 9-11 inches long as adults).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here