Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose buds cut off

Posted by PeaK California (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:58

This is a new pest/problem for me. There is something eating my rosebuds and it leaves an orange goo on top. When I wipe the orange goo off, the tops are cut straight off the buds. I thought it might be thrips, but no where have I seen that they leave orange goo. I have had some buds with holes "drilled" in the side, without the goo, so those may be thrips, but I have seen no actual bugs. I'm most curious as I've had these roses for four or five years. Have dealt with aphids and the usual suspects, but never this. Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose buds cut off

Thrips don't drill holes. Ever.

Catrpillars can eat buds and make holes.
Snails & slugs can eat buds.
May have to investigate after dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here