Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Pests on my young Quaking Aspen

Hi, I am usually on the Hot Pepper Forum but I just found a pest infestation on my 3-4 year old Quaking Aspen tree. They are at the very top of the plant on the newest growth. The tree is currently about 8 feet tall. My first thought was some type of Aphid as I have dealt with them on my Peppers and Roses but these dont look the same. Can anyone tell me what they are and if I have anything to worry about and if so, what can I do about them? I am located in S. Central Wisconsin if that matters.

{{gwi:376419}}

{{gwi:376420}}

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Yes, they're aphids.

Direct hits with insecticidal soap works as does squishing.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I have some insecticidal soap and will give that a go.
    Bruce

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Aspens are aphid magnets. If you spray your trees thoroughly with a dormant oil in the winter, you can smother the overwintering eggs hidden in any little nooks and crannies. Horticultural oils do a pretty good job of controlling aphids at any time of year but you need to be careful of the temperature restrictions when the trees are in full foliage.

There are well over 1000 aphid species just in the US, thus there are many different colors, sizes, and other characteristics.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do the different aphid species attack only certain plants? Or do I have to worry about aphids on my Aspen migrating to my Hot Peppers as Hot Peppers tend to attract Aphids also.
    Bruce

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

There ARE aphids that are specific to Aspen and cottonwood and willows (all in the same family). I believe that your aphid is one that will be found on only those plants. There are other examples of certain aphids being specific to their host...such as the pretty (I think) milkweed/oleander aphid. Those aphids are bright yellow/orange with black stockings, lol.

Others can be found where ever they darned well want, it seems. You probably see pink, green, or gray colored aphids on your peppers.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I have see quite a rainbow on my peppers and roses. Thanks everyone for the help, information and advice.
    Bruce