Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help...white/beige spots on leaves

Posted by penserosa z6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 18:03

Hi - Several of my plants have some kind of blight or fungus and I don't know what it is... it's on my violets:

and on the basal leaves of my pole beans:

It's also on catnip and pigweed, and probably other plants I haven't noticed yet.

I'm assuming I should pull out the infected plants, but I don't want to yank the beans...can anyone tell me what it is and whether to treat it, yank it, etc.?

Thanks!

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help...white/beige spots on leaves

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 22:55

Not a disease.

Instead, it's environmental stress -- more specifically, heat and/or drought. Did you have a recent hot and/or dry spell? Or did the soil get too dry?

o
RE: help...white/beige spots on leaves

I had the same problem this year with my violets which are grown in pots on my NYC deck. I cut them down completely a few times and they kept re-emerging with those same markings. I saw tiny red dots, ants and other bugs in the soil. I finally took some rootings, rinsed them in soapy water, re-potted them in a clean pot with Peat and so far no sign of the blight. I lost most of my beautiful violets. I noticed the same blight in violets planted in a yard in my neighborhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here