Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragonfly?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 18:06

I saw this bug today, and I thought it was a dragonfly. None of the pictures I pulled up on Google images matched this bug. It had a thick black body, dark wings, the length of the bug was about 3 inches. It kind of hovered the way dragonflies do, looked menacing but left me alone. I couldn't get a picture of it, but I'm wondering if even with these sketchy details if someone might know what it could be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragonfly?

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 19:09

Check out sphinx moth. They hover like a hummingbird or dragonfly would and have a similar wing span. Guessing...
hortster

o

Dragonfly, hummingbird moth WAG from sparse info provided. Can WAG sphinx moth too.

Dan

o

I looked at the images for sphinx moth, but that's not it. The wings on the insect I saw were thin, like a dragonfly's wings, not big like a moth. I guess if I see it again, I'll try to watch if it lands. This one just circled around me and then flew away.

o

Could be a Damselfly.

o
REE: Dragonfly?

OOPS! Forgot the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Damselflies of NM

o

We're getting closer to what I saw, but mine had even a thicker body than the damselflies on the website. As I think back on it, I'm not even sure I saw the wings; just a thick, long body.It had to have wings since it was flying, I just can't remember them. I believe I use to see this bug back in New York as a child, during the summer. It used to scare us, looking as menacing as it does, but we were assured it was harmless. I thought I remember people saying it was a dragonfly, but I'm not sure.

o

Was it, perhaps, New Mexico's state insect?

o

Yikes!

I was thinking in terms of a dobsonfly.

o

What is NM state bug? That wasn't what I saw but that is an impressive bug. Mine did not have a 2 piece body but had a chunky piece behind it's head. Again, I didn't see any wings, so they were probably kind of transparent, if that makes any sense.

o
Dragonfly, could this be it?

After looking at New Mexico insects on Google images, I saw one that looked close. It's called a western flying adder. The images of that bug had more colors than the one I saw which seemed all black. Again, I only saw it for a few moments, so it could have had colors I didn't notice.

o

The guy in the picture I posted (not my picture by the way)is a tarantula hawk. We have them her in So Cal too. You can't see it in the picture but when the sun hits them just right, they are a deep luminescent blue. Absolutely gorgeous, if you're into that sort of thing (which I certainly am).

o

So....in other words: a dragon fly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here