Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hajens_gw

White, sticky, cottony pest on crabapple tree

Hajens
11 years ago

I have taken a sample of this crabapple branch to my local nursery. They told me it was probably some kind of aphid, and had be treat it with some Ortho Flower, Fruit and Vegetable Insect Killer (I have sprayed it twice so far). That hasn't really worked, and I think it's actually spreading and getting worse. When I squish the white stuff, it is sticky and red on my fingers.

Can someone please help me determine what is attacking my crabapple?

Thank you,

Heather

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i call it wholly aphids..

i think others call it Woolly Algelid ...

google both ..

BUT.. and there is always a big butt ... how many times is it reasonable to spray a tree.. from which there is no apparent damage.. and it is not a crop plant ...

how about you try ignoring them .. until you see some actual damage ..

i doubt there is any bug.. that can harm a crabapple.. in the long run ..

the most recommended aphid remover.. is a hose ..

please .. put down the chemicals.. and step away ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The woolly adelgids are a group of aphid-like insects found on conifers.

This is a woolly apple aphid. I don't think that this is something that you should step back from, Heather. A run-away infestation of this pest can weaken a tree, setting it up for a host of other problems. It is a pest that is much more problematic than an ordinary aphid. It's sort of like a gateway pest.

However, I do suggest that you refrain from the Ortho stuff. The use of broad spectrum 'hard' chemicals can do a real number on the beneficials that might come in to help you manage these pests. Thus, the more you use something like that, the more you will HAVE to use them.

Rather, consider insecticidal soap applications and a summer weight horticultural oil.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The Wooly Aple Aphid is a very common pest of the Malus species and while most control measures recommended are the vey broad spectrum organophposphate poisons, which kill off the predators of these wee buggers and contribute to the problem, some few sites are starting to recommend more environmentally friendly control measures. If sharp streams of water to knock them off are not being effective a superior horticultural oil spray can be used, with care.
    There is some research that indicates the systemic pesticides have an adverse affect on the bees that pollinate our foods.

• Hajens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips...

I made my own insecticidal soap using Dr. Bronner's and sprayed it this morning. We will see what happens. Rhizo1 and kimmsr, what will the horticultural oil do, and do I need it in addition to the insecticidal soap?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Horticultural Oils coat the target insect and suffocate them. There are two types of Horticultural Oils, Dormant meant to be sprayed on trees and shrubs when dormant, and Superior, a more refined oil meant to be used, with due care, at other times of the year.
    If Insecticidal Soap does not work then maybe a Superior Horticultural Oil will.

• kathie189
    10 years ago

Has anyone here found a resolution to this pest. My late husband planted 2 apple trees (desert), he took a great deal of care in the selection of these and I would be heartbroken to lose them. They are getting weaker each year and I am at a loss how to treat them. This spring / summer I blasted them with water but it didn't seem to make much difference.
    Also, when should I feed / prune apples.
    Thanks
    Kathie.

• Hajens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathie189,
    I bought some peppermint Dr. Bromer's pure Castile soap and diluted it with water to make an insecticidal soap as suggested above. I just looked online for directions and ratios of soap to water. I sprayed it on my tree with a clean pump sprayer. That worked for a while, but they came back this year. I ended up moving the tree to a sunnier location and I bought ladybugs and released them in the tree. No more aphids this year!

This post was edited by Hajens on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 10:39

• Hajens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathie189,
    I bought some peppermint Dr. Bromer's pure Castile soap and diluted it with water to make an insecticidal soap as suggested above. I just looked online for directions and ratios of soap to water. I sprayed it on my tree with a clean pump sprayer. That worked for a while, but they came back this year. I ended up moving the tree to a sunnier location and I bought ladybugs and released them in the tree. No more aphids this year!

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Katie,

Some applies are more susceptible than others.

Woolly apple aphids are just about impossible to eliminate because they also live on the roots.