Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow spots on cucumber leaves - can anyone identify? (Pictures)

Posted by jeremiahg 9B - Sarasota, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 18:27

My cucumbers first started showing large yellow spots on the leaves, now the center of those spots are turning brown. I've included several pictures. I've been researching downy mildew and powdery mildew but not sure what it is, if it is even one of those two. Also looking for a natural way to treat it - should I use copper soap fungicide or something like that?? Thanks for any help!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow spots on cucumber leaves - can anyone identify? (Pictu

Question: do you have a fine droplet sprinkler near these plants?

o

Yes, unfortunately in our sandy soil, which is pretty much the consistency of a kid's sandbox, that is the only way to get everything well watered. The drip line just waters straight down and doesn't spread.

I have a micro-sprinkler that sprays a very fine mist of water.

o

The lesions confined by the veins look like angular leaf spot caused by the bacteria Pseudomonas syringae. It's pretty common on cucumbers.

It survives on plant debris so sanitation is a big part of control. It also hangs out in the soil, so rotating out to something less susceptible for a few years would help. If re-planting with cucumbers, it's best to use pathogen free seeds if you can. I'm not really sure how that works in a home owner situation. There are also resistant varieties available.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get rid of it now that you have it. You can slow the spread by watering early in the morning to allow the leaves to dry more quickly. Also, only pick fruit when the plants are dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here