Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenraider72

Are these harming my plants?

jenraider72
11 years ago

I was looking at one of my Hostas and it struck me that there were alot of these small opalescent greenish hued flying insects with blackish wings that jut out so that its shape is like a triangle with the head being the apex. I tried to get as close as possible and stay in focus-ish. There were others flying about and hanging out on the other Hosta and the lily ( one of 3 left with buds on top , out of 25 bulbs originally planted- thank you rabbits!) I have been so preoccupied with what has been eating everything else, that I never really noticed these things. The only plants I have that look like insects got to them because they are full of holes are the Hollyhocks. So I wonder, are these what damaged those plants, and should I be concerned? At the rate everything else is being eaten up by small animals, this is probably not too big a deal I figured, but I am a novice, so I look to you all for guidance. Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I've been waiting for someone to post pictures of the Long-Legged Fly, a beneficial insect. You might find them feeding on a variety of soft bodied insects.

You have to admit how pretty they are.

• jenraider72
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rhizo. So these are not one of my problems in the garden. That's good to know. I wonder, do they eat mosquitos or mosquito larva, per chance? I looked them up and read that they do eat certain pests, but one site had mentioned Long-Leggeds with Crane flys, and said the Crane flys eat mosquitos. I wasn't clear on whether both names apply to the same insect or not.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Me thinks that you read that description about crane flies too quickly, lol. Though they are sometimes called 'mosquito hawks', they don't attack mosquitoes...or anything else.

Crane flies and long-legged flies have no bond other than they are both members of the Diptera family. But, then, so are mosquitoes!

I cant answer your question about the L-L fly eating mosquites. Not the adult, I don't think...and no one is quite sure about the larvae.