Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Tobacco Hornworm!!!

Posted by JenTiffany OK 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 18:48

Okay, I've seen pictures of these before but I had no idea they were THAT big! That sucker was nearly the size of my finger!!! I fed him to a mockingbird. Now maybe the bird will be nice and full and sleep tonight instead of sing all night long. Ha! Yeah, right. Anyway, here's a picture of the worm and the damage he did just while I was at work today. I guess I know that cloudy/rainy days are good days to go out and find them. He wasn't even trying to hide.

Tobacco Hornworm

Tobacco Hornworm Damage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Tobacco Hornworm!!!

did you ever consider putting him in an empty aquarium.. and feeding him leaves until he pupated and turned into one butt ugly moth .. lol

just for the show???

or was it payback time ... lol

ken

o

Another moth that will breed more of these tomato plant munchers? Nope. Bird food. lol I have compassion for all living things. I can't say that I didn't feel bad about it. He was quite beautiful after all. Once I got over the creeped out feeling from having my hand right by him and not even knowing. Even spiders. I don't like them but they are so helpful that they can't be all bad, right? So I leave them alone. I'm sure that bird had a nice full tummy!

o

It is a spectacular caterpillar and a marvelous moth. Quite something to see fluttering around the garden plants in the evening. I am totally in agreement, though, that it feels OK to feed these big guys to the birds.

When they are that mature, it's about time for them to seek a place to pupate, Try finding them BEFORE they do all of that damage, lol. The tomato factories are the leaves, after all.

o

Wow that was a big one!

o

why not hatch the moth ..

they are BAT FOOD ...

[i cant type out the theme to batman.. .. just a bunch of N's and A's ... lol]

i suppose you have never seen a bat circling the area???

ken

o

I saw the same or similar caterpillar last October (probably Tobacco Hornworm), but that was very early on in my gardening / pest experience. I'm glad they haven't returned since, but if they do, I plan to raise one through adulthood. I can only imagine how big those types of sphinx moths really are to the eye. The largest moths I've seen so far were probably no bigger than 2.5" across...

o

The tobacco /tomato hornworm moth doesn't have an enormous wingspan, but its body (head+thorax+abdomen) are impressive! I think they look like they're wearing big fluffy fur coats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here