Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planthoppers and ants

Posted by feedindy 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 18:50

Well I took a close look at my fig tree and it has a small amount of planthoppers and it is crawling with tiny ants. It definitely was not this way last week.
This tree is one I rooted myself last year and it is small (only about 2 feet tall). It is not producing any figs as of yet. It appears lush and healthy besides this week's arrival of pests.

Can anyone suggest a method to rid the plant hoppers and keep ants off of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planthoppers and ants

One plant. Two feet tall. I'd use a spray of water.

tj

o

Neem is very helpful in keeping plant hoppers from feeding. That is one of its primary uses: an anti-feedant. Once they cease their feeding, and subsequent production of sweet droppings, the ants will likely become less interested.

I'd suggest that you do some leaf tests prior to spraying your whole plant with the Neem. Though a quick look through several postings recommending neem for F. carica, it never hurts to test a new product first. Treat a couple of leaves and watch for any tissue burning for the next few days. I'm sure that there will be no problems.

By all means, try the sprays of water first. I'm just not confidant about how effective that will be against leaf hoppers, who are able to flit away and then come back.

o

The ants may be aiding you in control of the plant hoppers. Spraying with water could, momentarily, rid you of the plant hoppers but they would return fairly quickly. If Insecticidal Soaps do not help (IPM suggests starting with the least toxic method) then maybe you would consider Neem products.

o

The planthoppers tend to move on down the road after a spray of water. If you Google "planthoppers control water site:.edu" you will see it is recommended as a dispersal tactic.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here