Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibuzzard

Stupid ( Possibly Hazardous to Me/ Offensive to You) Mistake?

ibuzzard
10 years ago

Trying not to be wasteful.

Yes, that is why I did what I did, and now I am hoping that my actions will not pose too much of a health risk to my family.

I have a skunk problem, and have been trapping them , then drowning them.

That is the part that some of you will no doubt find offensive, so be it. It is illegal to trap and relocate any wild animals, except on ones own property, here in California. The only other option is to euthanize them. State guidelines recommended using a gun, which I do not own, or CO2 which I am not familiar with, and would likely not do anyway.

That left drowning as the only method. If it's any consolation, though I know there must be some pain involved, I try to dispatch them quickly. When it comes to the garden and my food supply, I am not the least bit sentimental. I realize that some may be horrified, uh, sorry.

My concern is this: Am I at any appreciable risk of disease, since I poured the water in which I drowned them into the potato rows as irrigation water? You know, waste not, want not. The potatoes will not be dug up for about another month or so, so I am hoping my ignorance about the diseases that skunks potentially carry, will not cost me! There will be many hundreds of gallons of water applied between now and harvest time, so I hope that anything harmful will have been flushed away by future irrigation.

Now, lest you squeamish and outraged members tear me a new one, let me say this. Keeping in mind that farmers have always had to ruthlessly remove predators, not to mention cull runts, etc., and that drowning cannot be more painful than being run over by a vehicle, and that I have trapped/drowned 5 skunks in the last two nights, what I did was the right thing. Skunks are one of the main carriers of rabies in California, releasing elsewhere really can spread it far. Plus, you are dropping them in another's' territory,and they will be in trouble. I did consider it, frankly, because I do not relish the task, but ultimately elected to euthanize them .I need the food my garden supplies, and they were destroying a good chunk of it. They had to go.

So after this long-winded diatribe - What say you? Am I relatively safe, or am I at significant risk? If A I catch more tonight, should I water the grass with the water instead of the garden? Should I not eat those potatoes, or will just a good washing suffice?

Comments (10)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I have no problem with you trying to eliminate a pest, but can't you just snap their necks? Drowning is a horrible death -- it's drawn out for an extended period of time.

JMO.

For all your other questions and concerns, I'll defer.

Kevin

• ibuzzard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, you are more than welcome to come snap the necks on these skunks. I will film from afar, and post up the video on YouTube.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The best defense you would have for any potential disease pathogens would be time and I would follow the guidelines for using manure in this instance. However, any disease pathogens there might be would be on the skins of those potatoes so a thorough washing should be a good start and cooking them should help with any that might survive the washing.
    That said I would find someplace else to dump that water other than my food.

• ibuzzard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kimmsr, thanks. This a.m., my garden showed extensive signs of skunks digging again.My traps were empty, so I am glad I do not have death duties this morning, but I will have to continue trapping them.

After dumping the water two consecutive days, about 45 gallons each time, I'd estimate, I decided to Google the topic of skunk trapping, and found that in addition to rabies, they also can carry leptospirosis, canine hepatitis, canine distemper, listeriosis, and more. Wish I had been smarter. I do not want to be a fear mongerer, but do not want to endanger my family, either. The food I grow and put up is important to my family, so I do not want to harvest it only to dispose of it unnecessarily.

Thank you for the advice.

• ibuzzard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, an update and an obsevation. I had taken a break from setting the traps, since I do not like the task, but had to resume when the skunks began doing damage again. Last night, I caught two more. I awoke at dawn, performed the necessary unpleasantries, and they were carried away with the weekly trash by 6:30 a.m. . So far, in six total days of trapping in my small lot, I have eliminated seven skunks. I had also gotten a raccoon,but after it chattering all night and keeping us awake, right as the sky began showing light, its' partner figured out how to release it, much to our amazement.

My observation is this: the animals are strongly attracted to the fish emulsion that I feed to my vegetables. I feed everything once per week, a bit of the garden nearly every day, and those were the areas being dug up. I had determined to only fertilize early of a morning, then thoroughly water in the evening to dissipate the scent. Alas, we went to bed early, I forgot to water my new plants set in that day, and the skunks scratched them to death before they were themselves trapped. I am hopeful that by careful attention to my applications of the fish emulsion, and watering in well, I can cut way back on the trapping/ euthanizing.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

HOW did you get close enough to pick up the traps without them spraying you? I've drowned groundhogs but just let the water into the grassy area. Thanks for the youtube laugh.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

HOW did you get close enough to pick up the traps without them spraying you? I've drowned groundhogs but just let the water into the grassy area. Thanks for the youtube laugh.

• ibuzzard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I approach the trap with a wetted, doubled-over sheet held in front of me. Wetting it prevents any spray from coming through onto you.They see a sheet coming at them, and do not recognize you as a threat. Lay the sheet over the cage, lift the thin wire handle upright under the sheet, then step back. I have a long handle with a hook, I snag the handle,lift the cage from about 4 foot away, lower it into the water, done. After a while, empty the cage into double trash bag, and dispose of it. Repeat process over.....and over.....LOL!

I was in fear when I began doing this several years ago, taught the method by my neighbor, and I still get a bit nervous, but so far no accidents.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Had you thought about changing your fertilizer to something that doesn't draw them into your garden, save yourself the task of trapping? I think that's what I'd do if I determined it was the fish emulsion attracting them, I'd find something else. I couldn't possibly use a fish fertilizer, I'd be overrun with raccoons. The 'Tone' products are said to be good by Espoma - I haven't used the Garden-tone or Tomato-tone but know the Holly-tone and Rose-tone are quite effective and still organic.

• ibuzzard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am contemplating a system for compost extraction as a fish emulsion substitute.Similar to compost tea which is normally used for foliar feeding, it is for direct watering at the root zone. Anything I eventually settle-on,will be an organic alternative.It's on my to-do list of gardening skills to learn, though I've yet to do research, determine the amount of high quality compost needed, compare nutrient value vs. fish emulsion, etc. . I really value my supply of home made compost, and do not know if I can make enough each year to both amend my soil and make the extraction.Typically, the beds are fertilized every ten days, so that will require lots of compost.

The skunks and raccoons, will be around regardless, just hoping to reduce their numbers, and the damage they cause. Their numbers are heavy some years, less in others.For now, early morning feedings, followed by pre- dusk watering-in, and covering my beds with row covers, are my best bet. But they are not ever going away totally. When the damage gets to be too much, trapping and euthanizing is the best control.