Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee grounds to deter squirrels, gophers, etc.

Posted by gardningscomplicated southeast michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 19:03

I started a thread about acidifying some compost that's too alkaline, and discovered that coffee grounds may be the answer. Now I'm also reading that coffee grounds may be a squirrel deterrent. Does anyone know if that's true? And what about gophers, bunnys, chipmunks, woodchucks, birds, raccoons, and deer? I've got 'em all, and I can only fence out so many. I'm not even going to attempt to fence out the squirrels and gophers. I'm starting a new thread because this is getting off the original topic of the old thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee grounds to deter squirrels, gophers, etc.

I have put coffee gounds down and watched chipmonks, squirrels, and rabbits romp over that bed with no hesitation so I doubt that they would have any deterent capabilties.
Coffee grounds will not significantly change your soils pH.

o

When I first started my compost pile, I read that coffee grounds would keep out foxes. I've seen a couple, but was more worried about local dogs that get free and run around.
Anyway, all coffee grounds go in my compost pile, and I've had no trouble with wildlife, and we've got racoons, opossums, etc. I built my compost bin out of chicken wire and a four plastic posts, an animal could get in it easily.
Not sure what the coffee grounds do other than disguise the smell of other things, but it's worked for me. No animals in compost pile!

o

Nothing deters squirrels other than solid fencing, as far as I know! I have raised beds that are completely covered on all sides, just because of the squirrels. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear how!

o

I think my biggest problem is gonna be chipmunks. I originally thought I had gophers, but now I know it's chipmunks. I had 12 yards of compost delivered about 10 days ago, and they already dug a network of tunnels in it. And I see 'em climbing on it every now and then. I don't think that's a good sign. Anyone know a good way to at least minimize the impending devastation? I can't afford to put in a fence with a roof. Electric fencing isn't allowed here, unless it's for "active farmland". And I don't think I could afford to put sheet metal all around it--which I hear does work cuz they can't climb it. Maybe if I planted a small, easily accessible garden just for them, they'd leave my other stuff alone? Anyone ever try that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here