Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats eating my morning glory leaves? (pics)

Posted by lisa_ch 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 19:57

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be eating my Morning Glory leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats eating my morning glory leaves? (pics)

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 23:56

Perhaps caterpillars.

o

go out after dark and look for earwigs!

o

Thanks for the replies.
I have not seen any caterpillars but I have seen earwigs. I will go out tonight and see what I can see.

o

Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 19:42

Earwigs typically make clusters of very small tattered holes.

Other things -- caterpillars, sawfly larvae, slugs, snails -- make larger holes. Sometimes slugs and snails leave behind a glossy slime trail; other times they don't.

But as for seeing earwigs in the gardens, that's far different than convicting them of doing the damage.

I suggest you continue to look for the culprits.

o

I have not convicted the earwigs as of yet. I am still looking for this devious culprit. I do not believe it to be slugs but I have not completely removed them from the suspect list either. As for the sawfly larvae, I have not met this particular vermin. I am off to research who this may be. I will keep you posted on any new developements in the case.

Sorry about that, I guess I am feeling a little goofy this morning.

o

I doubt highly that's earwig damage. I have loads of them, and to be honest, as much as I hate them, they really don't do alot of damage.

Having defended those nasty creatures, looking at the size of your damage, I'm guessing maybe a leafcutter bee or grasshoppers. I never knew grasshoppers did much damage, until I watched one eat foliage last year. But, it might be a little early for them; I'm not sure at all...

o

Sun, Jun 25, 06 at 13:48

Not leafcutter bees because they remove very tidy circles and half circles.

Hmmm. Grasshoppers are something to look into. I've never been cursed with them but from what I've been told, the damage can be very extensive.

o

although everyones situation may be different than mine, i will forever defend my stance. i have seen earwigs do this exact damage to my seedlings. with the numbers i have had, there is no doubt. i have had them eat the entire tops off in one night. they would be so thick on top, you couldn't see the plant. and yes, the tattered laciness as well for the older plants. and yes, edges appearing to have been eaten from the sides.

then again, i did say "look" for them after all. it doesn't mean that it is the problem. :)

o

I will suggest wasps. they have gone after my plants and roses...saw them. They use them to make nexts. check to see if you have wasps. Caution they can bite, but they do eat bad bugs...ever see one eat a tomato worm, a small wasp can pick up a huge one and it just sucks out the inside and leaves the head and skin...gross...good luck. June

o

You might also want to watch for the tortoise beetle. I am starting to see them now. Everything in the morning glory family are hosts, and in fact their only diet.

o

Thats it! I think it may be the tortoise beetle. I never knew what they were called but I have seen them on my plants. I wasn't even aware that they were doing damage. Every time i have seen them they did not appear to be doing any damage. I just thought they were interesting looking bugs. I am off to do some reserach on them now. Thanks.

o

I found golden tortise beetles on my morning glories yesterday. I didn't know what they were and came here to get them ID'd. I think the beetle is beautiful and as long as it keeps to the morning glories I could care less.

o

I don't control them on my plants, either. The damage so far has been minor and transient. Actually, since bindweed is a relative, the tortoise is also considered a beneficial insect in that the feeding it does on bindweed helps to control it.

o

I don't think it's earwige damge...earwigs make swiss cheese out of leaves and sometimes start from the outside margin in. But your C type-holes look too big to have come from earwigs.
I also agree with Fairy Toadmother! Earwigs can be highly destructive to certain plant leaves and flowers!!! The expecially take to the leaves of Amaranthus 'Intense Purple', Blue Bedder Salvia and Salvia hormonium species in my yard. Blue Bedder never makes it past the seedling stage and the Amaranthus makes it but they will chew on them all season long if I let them. Last year they chewed up lots of white Datura flowers from the inside out and I caught'em red handed. With the use of some trap crops (lettuce) and homemade traps I caught and destroyed a gazillion. I also learned they liked to hide in the ropes of Amaranthus 'Love Lies Bleeding' during the day. So no more in my garden! This year I have only had 1 Amaranthus 'Intense Purple' and 3 salvia damaged , but a far cry less than last year.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vera

o

They like sweet potato vine too. They never killed anything here, just punched a lot of holes. Their gold color is not always active. Sometimes they are ladybug-like - reddish orange with small black spots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metriona bicolor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here