Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_ch

whats eating my morning glory leaves? (pics)

lisa_ch
17 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be eating my Morning Glory leaves?

Comments (15)

• jean001
    17 years ago

Perhaps caterpillars.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

go out after dark and look for earwigs!

• lisa_ch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    I have not seen any caterpillars but I have seen earwigs. I will go out tonight and see what I can see.

• jean001
    17 years ago

Earwigs typically make clusters of very small tattered holes.

Other things -- caterpillars, sawfly larvae, slugs, snails -- make larger holes. Sometimes slugs and snails leave behind a glossy slime trail; other times they don't.

But as for seeing earwigs in the gardens, that's far different than convicting them of doing the damage.

I suggest you continue to look for the culprits.

• lisa_ch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have not convicted the earwigs as of yet. I am still looking for this devious culprit. I do not believe it to be slugs but I have not completely removed them from the suspect list either. As for the sawfly larvae, I have not met this particular vermin. I am off to research who this may be. I will keep you posted on any new developements in the case.

Sorry about that, I guess I am feeling a little goofy this morning.

• jean001
    17 years ago

Not leafcutter bees because they remove very tidy circles and half circles.

Hmmm. Grasshoppers are something to look into. I've never been cursed with them but from what I've been told, the damage can be very extensive.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

although everyones situation may be different than mine, i will forever defend my stance. i have seen earwigs do this exact damage to my seedlings. with the numbers i have had, there is no doubt. i have had them eat the entire tops off in one night. they would be so thick on top, you couldn't see the plant. and yes, the tattered laciness as well for the older plants. and yes, edges appearing to have been eaten from the sides.

then again, i did say "look" for them after all. it doesn't mean that it is the problem. :)

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

I will suggest wasps. they have gone after my plants and roses...saw them. They use them to make nexts. check to see if you have wasps. Caution they can bite, but they do eat bad bugs...ever see one eat a tomato worm, a small wasp can pick up a huge one and it just sucks out the inside and leaves the head and skin...gross...good luck. June

• calliope
    17 years ago

You might also want to watch for the tortoise beetle. I am starting to see them now. Everything in the morning glory family are hosts, and in fact their only diet.

• lisa_ch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thats it! I think it may be the tortoise beetle. I never knew what they were called but I have seen them on my plants. I wasn't even aware that they were doing damage. Every time i have seen them they did not appear to be doing any damage. I just thought they were interesting looking bugs. I am off to do some reserach on them now. Thanks.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I found golden tortise beetles on my morning glories yesterday. I didn't know what they were and came here to get them ID'd. I think the beetle is beautiful and as long as it keeps to the morning glories I could care less.

• calliope
    17 years ago

I don't control them on my plants, either. The damage so far has been minor and transient. Actually, since bindweed is a relative, the tortoise is also considered a beneficial insect in that the feeding it does on bindweed helps to control it.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I don't think it's earwige damge...earwigs make swiss cheese out of leaves and sometimes start from the outside margin in. But your C type-holes look too big to have come from earwigs.
    I also agree with Fairy Toadmother! Earwigs can be highly destructive to certain plant leaves and flowers!!! The expecially take to the leaves of Amaranthus 'Intense Purple', Blue Bedder Salvia and Salvia hormonium species in my yard. Blue Bedder never makes it past the seedling stage and the Amaranthus makes it but they will chew on them all season long if I let them. Last year they chewed up lots of white Datura flowers from the inside out and I caught'em red handed. With the use of some trap crops (lettuce) and homemade traps I caught and destroyed a gazillion. I also learned they liked to hide in the ropes of Amaranthus 'Love Lies Bleeding' during the day. So no more in my garden! This year I have only had 1 Amaranthus 'Intense Purple' and 3 salvia damaged , but a far cry less than last year.
    {{gwi:1170254}}

Vera

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

They like sweet potato vine too. They never killed anything here, just punched a lot of holes. Their gold color is not always active. Sometimes they are ladybug-like - reddish orange with small black spots.

Â Â

Here is a link that might be useful: Metriona bicolor

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?