Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs dying and idk why?!

Posted by LiMi1207 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 20:43

Hi,
I was hoping to enlist some help in figuring out what is wrong with a few of my shrubs, and if they can be saved. For starters, I am very very new to the "gardening world", and don't even know what kind of shrubs these are. I am 21 years old and just inherited my home with TONS of plants/shrubs, and in my naivety, just thought that you're supposed to cut/prune them when they are getting out of hand, and that's that. Some further information- I have been extremely busy with college/ being administrator of an estate/ and moving into this new house, and the plants have not been a top priority. I moved in last September and the plants were fine, and I thought that some of the leaves browning/falling off was normal. I have been looking into getting some mulch for the area too, as some weeds have started to sprout up. In short, I care about these shrubs and will definitely do what is necessary to salvage them if possible! I have included some pictures. It seems that it is only this particular type of bush that is dying, because they are fairly well spaced apart, and all the other plants in between are fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or if they are salvagable? 4 bushes of this type and all of them are affected. Oh, also I am in East TN, zone 6, in a suburban neighborhood.

http://imgur.com/a/BvAzR

Thanks so much for any insight as to what is going on! I really appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs dying and idk why?!

Limi,
You just registered on Garden Web today.
Post the pics online here on the web so people can see them.
I do not trust your link, sorry.

o

Sure thing-
It'll only let me post 1 pic at a time though, and I have 7.

o

The shrubs which have dying foliage patches look to be variegated Euonymus, but I don't know what is wrong with them.

To upload the photos directly from your computer, use the "choose file" option just below where it says "Post a Follow-up". It will allow you to add one photo to each follow-up post. You may need to change the "Subject of Posting" line in some of your follow-ups so that Gardenweb doesn't think you are accidentally double-posting. You probably don't need to post all the photos.

o

Picture

o

Close-up

o

This will be the last picture I post, because it's more or less the same with the other bushes. Thanks for letting me know what type it is!

o

Perhaps winter damage?

If so, or even if not, I'd also check for scale as it is very common on euonymus.

And on the shrub that has an all green branch-- cut it off or it will take over (overwhelm) the green&gold portion.

o

whether its worth saving or not.. let me suggest.. its location near the front door says its time to go ...

same with the dead looking plant to the left of it ..

in fact ... it looks like the whole planting is original to the house ... and it might be time to try a new look if you have the inclination and budget ...

if not.. just get rid of the two ugly one.. and try to grow the grass a bit better .. it looks like it isnt prospering ... suggesting to me.. watering might be an issue ... if it went into winter stressed... then a bad winter didnt help ...

and once weak.. what ever attacked it ... really isnt the underlying problem ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here