Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats eating my plants??

Posted by GretchieGarden 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 20:44

I am new to gardening and just had my beautiful Mallow plant cleaned of its leaves, and today found my hollyhock and coneflower leaves gone...the Mallow was tall so I ruled out bunnies. My neighbor thinks she saw a gopher...if so how do I get rid of it. We can't find any tunnels. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats eating my plants??

A 4-foot tall gopher would be interesting indeed. Pix plz.

Dan

o

Could you have a groundhog? Those are exactly the plants that they went after in my garden - watch your roses, if you have any: they love them too.
Groundhogs live in burrows deep underground, but don't make tunnels all over the place, just a couple leading to the main burrow. The one in our yard that we FINALLY trapped had the main tunnel opening under our garden shed.
They are smart, can climb, are about the size of a good-sized cat, and are a pain in the butt. If that's what you've got, you or an exterminator will have to trap it and take it really, really far away. Then you will have to fill in as much of the tunnel you can get at, or else another one will move right in (personal experience,here). The first step will be finding the tunnel opening - look under overhanging bushes, under porches, under garages, and look for piles of dirt.
Good luck!

o

Never rule out the bunnies. They can nibble at the base, then it falls, then they devour. Only my baby bunnies eat my plants, the adults rarely. Put money on the woodchuck/groundhog; they have no problems devouring tall plants.

o

Dang, I had a large pot loaded with old seed I decided to throw down and loads of seedlings sprouted. They were just getting to a just under a foot tall and wouldn't you know it, the woodchuck mowed them down. Grrrrrrr...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here