Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flies in peony stems

Posted by phlowerpower 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 21:05

The cut tips of several peony stems had signs of borers--I could see the inside material of the stem powdered and on the lower leaves. I split a stem in half and found several small flies inside the stem. They showed no sign of life. I am pretty sure they are small flies--they have the typical fly shaped wings and large eyes. I am just so curious to learn more about the life cycle of these flies. I have about 6 more peony stems with the same signs of borers. Anyone know what they are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flies in peony stems

Oh, how interesting. You have a great example of biological control in action!

This is a relatively common phenomenon in which a predator insect hollows out the soft pithy center of a stem in order to lay its eggs.

Do you see the tan "plug" at the far left and another towards the right? That's evidence of a small predator wasp which is stocking each cell (the space between 2 plugs/partitions) for its youngsters. The prey are alive, but stunned, and will provide fresh "food" for the predator's young.

One cell per youngster. Many prey per youngster; with more prey for females than for males.

I'm curious where you live. Please tell us city & state.

o

I was thinking it looked as though these flies were being stocked up by some other creature. Ok I am off to look up more info about wasps doing this. I live in Iowa. Thanks for the reply!

o

Fascinating, jean! This one really had me scratching my head. The image was perplexing, to me. Any idea what genus of wasp this might be?

o

No I don't.
And I would like to know if the prey truly are flies. I can't see enough detail to be certain.

Okay, this is the back story. I have a friend who is a fanatic about monitoring & documenting mason bees in the local Master Gardener demo garden.

And since he started, he has seen several predatory wasps also using his bee nests.

If you're interested, reserch these:
- Isodontia elegans, common name the grass-carrying wasp -- a wasp about an inch long; prey are tree crickets
- Passaloecus species -- a very small predatory wasp; prey are aphids

This post was edited by jean001a on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 17:25

o

Here is a photo of one of the insects in the stem. Has fly shaped wings and eyes as far as I can tell.

I am only seeing signs of activity in my cut peony stems. So fascinating! I haven't spotted the creatures doing this though.

o

I think you're correct. Can't see antennae but can discern the shape of the head.

o

Thanks to folks like Jean (and rhizo, for that matter), I never stop learning. That's a new one for me.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here