Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

something eating columbine flowers, plus leaf holes

arylkin
10 years ago

This is my first year in a house and the first with a garden. IâÂÂve been reading a lot about plants and feel like IâÂÂm becoming somewhat educated about them, but when it comes to garden pests I know very little.

IâÂÂve been noticing holes on my hostas, which I attributed to slugs (although I canâÂÂt say IâÂÂve ever seen one). I tried doing a ring of coffee grounds on top of the mulch around them, but I canâÂÂt say that IâÂÂve noticed a difference. I think itâÂÂs time for some more drastic measures.

Also, IâÂÂm noticing that something is eating other plants in my garden, from coneflowers, to black eyed susans, even a bit on a geum, lupine, and goldenrod.

Today, I saw that one of my columbine flowers had been eaten and there was a little green bug perched on top of it. It was one that was nearing the end of its lifespan, but the eating damage was clearly caused by something bad.

When I went to look at it a couple hours later the bug was still there.

Here's a pic:

Then leaf damage on coneflowers:

black eyed susan:

geum:

dwarf shasta daisy:

then the assorted hosta damage:

IâÂÂd really welcome any advice, as well as what to do to control these problems in my garden. I am not averse to using chemicals as long as they wonâÂÂt harm someone if they touch a leaf a day or two after application. I don't really want to harm the bumble bees I get though, would a regular insecticide hurt them?

This post was edited by arylkin on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 21:21

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County