Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids on white pine

Posted by gw409 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 21:19

I have confirmed heavy aphid infestation on my white pine. How can i treat this problem along with associated ants?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids on white pine

Can we assume that these are White Pine Aphids? They are a unique species.

Depending on how bad the infestation is, the recommendations range from doing nothing to sharp sprays of water to insecticidal soap to horticultural oil sprays to smother the eggs.

If the infestation is not severe, it is far better that you simply use water sprays and let the natural predators and parasites do their work unimpeded.

o

the ants do not need to be treated .. get rid of the aphids.. and the ants will go away ...

start with a hose.. and spray them off ...

you dont mention the size of the plant ...

frankly.. i had them on 5 huge pines surrounding a patio ... they had no real impact on the plants ...

if your only worry is that they might kill the pine.. that is possible.. but doubtful ...

why do you feel you must act???? .. could you favor us with a pic???

how did you confirm the pest????

ken

o

The simplest, and least toxic, method of control is a sharp water spray that will knock the wee buggers off the plants. Next in order of toxicity would be Insecticidal Soap and then horticultural oil.
Keep in mind that things such as Malathion, Carbaryl, etc. will also kill off any of the Aphids predators, as will the insecticidal soap and oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: controlling Aphids in pines

o

Ken.....you have officially used up your weekly allowance of question marks, lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here