Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Fuzz on Evergreens???

Posted by thewizard NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 21:22

Hi I have 2 Evergreens about 20 feet appart and they have gotten this white fuzz on them that is sticky and looks like small tiny balls of cotton, all over the trunk and branches of the tree. There are little bugs crawling around as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Fuzz on Evergreens???

Can you let us see some good images of the situation? We should be able to see what kind of evergreen, too.

Going by the very little information we have, I'm going to guess that your evergreen is a fir or hemlock of some kind and that it is infested with the very common (and dreaded) adelgid. Different adelgid species infest different conifers.

This is a very serious pest of certain conifers and can be devastating if not discovered and controlled early on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for an image

o

Pix plz but my first WAG was as rhizo's.

Dan

o

Sorry been trying to post pics in here but cant seem to get it working...How do I get some small Jpegs uploaded?

o

Use a hosting service and link to it.

Dan

o

I'm putting my money on adelgid too. It was the first thing to pop into my mind.

o

Here at the pcitures of the Tree, close up of trunk, and the little bug.

http://img121.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bugzq.jpg

o

Yup. Nice infestation of adelgids. Better get on it yesterday. Your Co Extension Service, surely, has a quadrillion pieces of information about treatment and tree companies they may have a list of (but don't endorse). I'm sure every third arborist has treatment on their website as well.

Dan

o

Your tree looks like a pine, and that is the pine bark adelgid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here