Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Leaves Turn dark brown

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 21:27

Hi,

Someone gave me a hydrangea plant bought from a store (no tag, no indication of what KIND of hydrangea it is). I kept it inside. I watered it as frequent as the other house plants, but then I found that it dried so quickly and watered it everyday. I did not take off the wrapping paper that held the water from overflowing until today. I did not check if it was watered too much. Two days ago, I found that the wrapping paper was holding a lot of excess water. It has kept losing its leaves.

I saw moldy surface on the soil. The leaves are turning dark brown

I doubt that the brown leaves were caused by something else other than over-watering. However, please advise me. What should I do now? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Leaves Turn dark brown

Get the roots out of that soggy soil and repot with a mix with a good amount of perlite and pine bark. Check the container forum for recipes for various mixes.

tj

o

or better yet.. get it out of the house.. it is NOT a houseplant ...

and plant it in mother earth in shade that involves avoiding the hot part of the day.. but otherwise sunny ...

basically.. i would sum it up.. as you are trying to love it to death.. free it.. so it can attain its greater potential ...

the fast drying is indicative of being root bound in the pot ..

ken

o

Thank you both tsugajunkie and ken_adrian. Good advice.

I knew that it is not a house plant, but I was concerned about "drying out so quickly" even in a shady area (actually I don't have any true shady area but slight morning sun with afternoon shades). I was thinking to plant it outdoor once Fall arrives. Now, the best way is to plant it outdoor then.... Thank you again

o

Looks like Botrytis or Grey Mold very common. Hydrangeas are prone to it being leafy as they are. It is easy to stop, dry the plant out and pinch of the rotten leaves. New growth should be happy and healthy.

And like Ken mentioned get it outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here