Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shriveled leaves on Grace Cotinus

Posted by LauraL12 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 21:28

I have a Grace Cotinus (which I believe is a hybrid between the smoke bush and the smoke tree). It started off beautifully this year, after a spring pruning.

In the past couple of weeks, however, leaves have started shriveling up and falling off. Some branches are all brown, some still look healthy.

I don't see any fungus spots, or any bugs. I did have trouble with some sort of small white mite on this bush a couple of years ago, but if there are any insects on there now, they are invisible to the naked eye.

I'd be grateful for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shriveled leaves on Grace Cotinus

pictures night help. An overall view please.

Beyond that, how long has it been in the ground?

o

which I believe is a hybrid between the smoke bush and the smoke tree

==>> teach me.. is there a difference???? i thought it was just a pruning/training technique ...

has the lawn recently been sprayed???

pics??

ken

o

sounds kinda like verticullium wilt. leaves turn brown dry up and branches turn brown. it acts like a drought. restricts water from reaching the leaves. if you cut one of the branches you can see streaking in the branch if you have it.
but without pictures it is hard to tell what is going on. but by what you are telling us that is as close as i can tell you what it is.

o

Ken...FYI: Cotinus coggygria x Cotinus obovatus = Cotinus 'Grace'

C. coggygria is the European/Asian Smoke Bush and C. obovatus is American Smoke tree. It is not a pruning technique.

o

any chance of pictures?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here