Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1tomatoplantplz

Help! What is wrong with the leaves?!

Why do the leaves look this way?

I pot-planted this seedling 2 weeks ago, and within the last few days I've noticed the yellowing/bumpy appearance of leaves.

Does anyone have any ideas?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tompests/msg0623200813411.0623323925721.jpg

Comments (10)

• Just1tomatoplantplz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's the actual picture.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

It's hard to tell from the photo (it's a bit blurry), but it looks a bit like mite damage or something like that to me.
    Are there any tiny bugs / specks on the leaves?

• Just1tomatoplantplz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

Not sure if there are any critters on the plant. I was wondering about spider mites...what is the remedy for removing them? I'm trying to be as organic as possible (no harsh chemicals-if possible).

The leaves are dry and bubbly looking. Trying to fix this problem before it kills my poor little plants.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i see lush vegetative growth ... that has not fully extended ...

Ts are absolute blistering full sun plants .. and i cant imagine how they grow indoors... and you mention nothing about lights ..

try not to kill it with too much love

ken

ps: whats the media.... it doesnt look like a professional mix ...

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

If it was spider mites then misting with water every morning for a few days should help, but if you can't see any specks or webs, it's probably not spider mites.
    It could be cyclamen mites or something (they're invisible, practically), or it could just be sonething as simple as too much fertiliser. You could try running fresh water through the soil for a few minutes to clear it out. When I have problems I can't diagnose, I find flushing out the soil helps about 50% of the time. It never hurts, at any rate.

I think some clearer pictures would probably help to diagnose the problem.

• Just1tomatoplantplz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both!

Here is a closer pic..

Also, I used Miracle Grow Organic potting soil mix.

Sprayed a teensy amount of miracle grow plant spray on them yesterday.

Thinking about purchasing some actual Tomato plant food instead.

I was worried about the potting mix being too strong for the little plant, but apparently the mix is made for plants and veggies.

It was mentioned on another board that perhaps this variety of tomato plant has different/bumpier leaves. It is a husky cherry red.

Maybe you are right, and I'm just being a nervous nelly with my new plant friends.

Hoping this little guy makes it through this season.

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    9 years ago

Puckered leaves are often caused by tobacco mosaic virus. Does anyone who handled the plants, smoke tobacco?

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pic.
    It doesn't look too bad to me. If I have plants with blemishes like that I usually check for bugs, and if I can't find any, I don't worry about it.

• Just1tomatoplantplz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it was TMV, I guess we will see.

I just read that this particular type of tomato plant (husky cherry red) isn't resistant to the virus, so I suppose time will tell.

The sungold should be resistant (according to the bonnie website).

I suppose only time will tell.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

• Just1tomatoplantplz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I don't smoke.

No one in my house does either.

As far as the handling...who knows.

I bought it from walmart....so...who knows..

I think if these little plants don't 'make it'...I will buy my next seedling from a local nursery.

Thanks again!