Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbfindlay

what the heck

cbfindlay
13 years ago

What is going ON??? First, one tomatillo in a container with a few plants -- one other tomatillo, different variety, two sweet peppers, and basil seedlings -- succumbs in a day to some kind of wilt. No leaf curling, spots, just total plant collapse in a day. Thought it needed water one day, watered it, no change, the next day, the stem is brown near the bottom. I pull it out, the pith is all spongy and the outer stem brown. So, OK, I figure it's bacterial wilt, I pull the plant. So far everything else in the container is OK.

NExt day, I'm getting droopy leaves on my David Austin rose, just the newest growth. OK. It's hot, so I figure it's water again. Nope, water changes nothing, and a couple of the newer leaves crinkle up and die. Droop continues.

Tonight, I go out to check the droopy rose, and the coneflower NEXT to the rose is exhibiting serious droop -- only on the immature blooms! The rest of the plant looks fine, the leaves look healthy -- the stems at the top are just bent right over, almost in half, almost like the blooms are TRYING to face downward. I watered these again with little hope.

No sign of bugs except that white cottony residue on one stem -- one that's not drooping. No marks of any kind on the leaves of the coneflower OR the rose or on the stems of either. No herbicides that I know of have been sprayed in our yard and these plants aren't next to the neighbor's yard.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

I remember having tomatoes damaged by Roundup (or maybe it was weed and feed)and exhibiting some wacky behavior -- the stems turned all around like the plant didn't know which way was up. Could this be the same thing? HOw far could these herbicides drift if some bone-headed neighbor applied them in the 90 degree heat yesterday?

Help!

Comments (4)