Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs Eating My Dahlia, Rose of Sharon and Butterfly Bush!

Posted by slr8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 21:36

Hi everyone. I am noticing the same green bug on my Rose of Sharon (which by the pictures you will see is turning yellow now), on my Dahlia and my Butterfly Bush. Is he the one who is eating these plants...I have to assume so. Just checking before I try to get rid of them. Does anyone have an idea of how to do so?

BUG ON BUTTERFLY BUSH

Photobucket

The other bug, below, was on the dahlia as well.

Bug on Dahlia

Do I need to worry about these bugs? What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs Eating My Dahlia, Rose of Sharon and Butterfly Bush!

The last one looks like a four lined plant bug. Not sure on the others.

o

Yeah it does look like one. It just seems like mine has yellow lines on a black body, but the ones I see on the internet look like black lines on a yellow body? Still the same???? I will have to look to see if it is a bad bug. What the heck is the other more creepy bug???

o

The other two look like grasshopper nymphs. Two different species, I believe. The second one appears to be the nymph of the longhorned grasshopper.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

o

Oh, I like grasshoppers. I don't find them creepy. Didn't realize that these were them...They are bad for the garden, aren't they, but most people just leave them alone because they don't tend to kill the plant, right?

Why are the plants turning yellow???

o

A few grasshoppers won't eat too much, but I suspect that you'll find more if you look hard enough. They'll probably be easier to catch while they are still nymphs, if you have a mind to.

Can't help you with the yellowing.

o

Ok thanks. I saw one of these nymphs on my elephant ear (which is just starting out) and I caught him easily and threw him over the fence. I was super mad...I wonder if there will come a time when I will kill them...not sure but he was easily caught. I see them from time to time but there doesn't seem to be too many. They camouflage well though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here