Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify this pest!

Posted by slim2169 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 21:50

We have white caterpillars all over our creeping jenny in the front garden and it's slowly killing it all. What is this thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify this pest!

That's the Lysimachia sawfly larva, not a caterpillar. I've always found sawflies easy to control with commercial insecticidal (horticultural) soap. Spray when you see that these insects are most active, avoid sunny days.

o

In some places Creeping Jenny is considered a noxious "weed" while other places and people consider it a good ground cover.
Sawflies, wasps not flies, probably will not "kill" your Creeping Jenny, although a large invasion of the larva can weaken plants so they are susceptible to other problems. Insecticidal Soaps can, when applied early enough in the life cycle, help control them and Insecticidal Soaps containing pyrethrins may be of some helps later, but then why use the soap since it is the Pyrtethrin that does them in. Spinosad also can be used but that is very toxic to bees (as is pyrethrin) so due care in use is necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sawflies

o

bugs rarely kill a plant outright ...

and CJ is aggressive enough.. that i would not even bother eradicating them

besides the fact ... it will pupate very soon.. if that is near one inch ...

they will be gone soon ... and the aggressive plant will outgrow the damage ...

i wouldnt bother ...

now.. if it were a $100 conifer... i might go after them .. but not on this horribly invasive weed ...lol.. yeah.. i have a predisposition to hating CJ ...

it isnt worth the time, effort, nor cost.. IMHO ...

ken

o

Thanks everybody for your input, I really appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here