Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow leaves

Posted by woody64 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 22:04

I have a small orange tree that I started from a seed and is growing quite well up till a few weeks ago when the top leaves started turning a real pale pale green ,almost a yellow color.The bottom leaves are still green,although not a deep green but green none the less.I tried feeding it with some miracle grow but it dont seem to help.I put some bone meal in the soil earlier the year .any ideas/thanks

ps:the tree is about 3ft tall and i have it in a 12"diameter pot in my house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow leaves

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 22:27

How long has it been in that pot?

o

Yes, along jeans lines pot too small and soil needs refreshed, and in addition orange trees from seed from the grocery (opposed to heirloom from friend/family garden) likely don't come true and you don't know what you are going to get. And MG likely not the...um...miracle in any case and you want to look at the formulations in citrus food and adjust your fert from there.

Dan

o

It could be one or a combination of many things, root bound, soil consistency, possibly over watered. As far as soil, if it's anywhere close to the right consistency and drains well, it should be fine for up to 2 years. Obviously people have different opinions about MG but using it at a lower strength more often is better than full strength in a container. I'd almost be willing to bet it's a soil issue. It's probably compacted and not allowing proper drainage or oxygen to the roots. What kind of soil was used?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here