Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
resacastillo

White lines on leaves

resacastillo
9 years ago

What is eating my leaves & how do I kill it? It's causing my vegetable plant leaves to turn yellow & fall off.
Can anyone help?

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Leafminers.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

That is from leaf miners, the larva of saw fly. Little can be done about the larva in the leaf, although there is a wasp that will insert an egg into those larva which then kills it. Control is aimed at the adults that lay the eggs, but due care is needed because many suggested methods of control will also kill off the predators that can help control them as well as many other beneficials.

Here is a link that might be useful: about leaf miners

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the general health of the plant.. or lack thereof.. indicates to my eye.. that the leaf miners are not your base problem ...

but i cant tell much with a wet leafed plant ...

i collect variegated plants ... in my garden.. leaf miners variegate some of the green ones .. its a plus in my world.. lol ... they.. in no way harm plants to the plants detriment ..... to my experience ....

but your plants leaves dont look right otherwise ...BTW ... what is it.. you failed to mention such.. is it supposed to be a pepper??? ... it might make a difference ....

ken

ps: maybe TX has more aggressive miners ..?????

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The usual leaf miner culprit of peppers are a type of very small flies (not sawflies) and can be devestating to peppers. Other leaf miners are moth, beetle, or sawfly species.

I have chosen to pull up badly infested peppers and toss them. Leaf miners can be discouraged by applications of neem oil which is believed to prevent the tiny flies from laying eggs in the first place. It will not harm the beneficial wasps. But neem must be applied before the adults begin swarming and care must be taken to avoid the hot sun.

Ken makes a good point about other issues that might be going on with your pepper. Growing peppers in containers can be a challenge. But I will say that your plant looks just like some of my seriously infested peppers that I've yanked in the past. :-(

9 years ago

The usual leaf miner culprit of peppers are a type of very small flies (not sawflies) and can be devestating to peppers. Other leaf miners are moth, beetle, or sawfly species.

I have chosen to pull up badly infested peppers and toss them. Leaf miners can be discouraged by applications of neem oil which is believed to prevent the tiny flies from laying eggs in the first place. It will not harm the beneficial wasps. But neem must be applied before the adults begin swarming and care must be taken to avoid the hot sun.

Ken makes a good point about other issues that might be going on with your pepper. Growing peppers in containers can be a challenge. But I will say that your plant looks just like some of my seriously infested peppers that I've yanked in the past. :-(

• resacastillo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I noticed it first on my banana peppers, then noticed them on my tomatoes. Now I see it on my jalapeños. About a month ago, I did notice what I thought were gnats on my plants. They have since gone, but my leaves now look like the photo.
    The leaf in the photo looks wet because I sprayed them with aphid killer spray. I don't currently have aphids, I just thought it might help.

Can my garden be saved?

9 years ago

What is in the "aphid killer spray "?