Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani0025

Mushroom...

Dani0025
10 years ago

Im not sure if this is where this belongs, if not im sorry. I have this mushroom invading my front bed. Just trying to find out if its ok to yank this thing out! Its pretty big, about the size of a large grapefruit. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Pick it, then either trash it or put it in your compost pile.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You think it would be ok in the compost? Wont it keep growing? I guess I could cut it up. Sorry fungus is NOT my area of experiences! I dont even want to touch it lol

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Mushrooms grow in soils where the conditions for their growth are good, moist with woody organic matter. They are the seed stalk of the fungal colony below the soil and are not a problem in any garden, although some think of them as "ugly" and have a strong need of destroying them.
    You could pluck that mushroom out and compost it with no fear, or just knock it down and leave it in place, where the Soil Food Web will eventually digest it., or just leave it and it will eventually die.

This post was edited by kimmsr on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:33

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Mushrooms are ephemeral. It will go away if you do nothing. They are a sign of healthy decomposition in healthy soil. If you can't stand looking at it and don't want to touch it, you could step on it, and/or kick it behind the plants, which would make it go away much more quickly. The next time conditions are suitable, another may pop up in that spot or nearby.

It can't keep growing in the compost because it is not a complete entity. (Trying to make this thing grow more mushrooms, or to continue growing as it is, would be like trying to grow a rose bush by starting with a picked/cut flower.) The ones that pop up here smell really bad if disturbed, so we try not to do that, but if somebody accidentally steps on one or kicks it, it does go to the compost. It's never caused mushrooms to grow in the compost, and they shrivel very quickly out of sight, into nothing once disturbed, whether left in place or thrown to compost.

If this is in a spot where you have been watering, you could interpret it as a sign that your plants may be OK without so much water as mushrooms tend to show up at times of heavy moisture. Could just be a whole lotta rain.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well you can see that nasty looking matted stuff in front of it, thats "top soil" I purchased from lowes. It was this foul smelling thick stuff thay I used to fill in a deep hole there. I wonder if my "top soil" had something to do with my mushroom.
    Guess Ill jist leave it there. Because im fairly sure nothing else is ever going to grow in that the way it is lol. Have to wait for my compost to finish to mix some in!
    Thanks for the advice!
    If nothing else its something...err interesting to look at!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you need to go zen ...

others have alluded to it.. i am just going to say it ...

it normal

its healthy ...

and its a FREE SHOW OF MOTHER NATURE ...

get over you fear and your worries...it will be gone in days ...

there is nothing need be done ...

examine yourself.. and figure out why you need to kill it

go zen man .. ooohhhmmmmm

ken

• apg4
    10 years ago

It appears to be a Lepiota species - what species I can't say without examining the gills and stalk. Some are edible, some are non-poisonous...but whatever species, it isn't dangerous, so - as other have said - just let it be, or compost if you must.