Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thornless blackberry vines not producing

Posted by fourgirlmom OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 22:28

I'm having the same problem w/ my blackberry vines that I had two years ago. Last year's production was great (114 pints from 2 vines). This year and two years ago the canes have shown some pest/disease pattern. I'm not sure if these canes have crown borer, cane borer (due to the 2-year cycle/pattern), cane blight, or all three of these insects/diseases. The producing canes dry out and die from the tip of the cane. Lateral canes are very sparse if exsistent at all. The canes have blossomed, but production will be sparse. I've been cutting back and removing dead/dried up canes. About 4 of the new canes were destroyed from a rain storm a couple of weeks ago. These canes looked pretty hardy and the storm wasn't that bad, so I'm thinking something could be affecting the cane crowns. From the information my county extension agent has referred me to, the only treatment recommended is removing canes and applying insecticide before blossoms appear. What can I do now?? Just wait the season out?? What can I apply to kill this/these pests/diseases in the canes as well as in the soil??? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thornless blackberry vines not producing

The only Blackberries I have are wild and they grow, produce berries, die, grow, produce berries, die, and have for 35 years. Like other cultivated cane fruits Blackberries can be susceptible to some diseases and insects, so your Counties Extension Agent may be more correect than you want him to be. I periodically move my Raspberries so I can rebuild that bed they grew in and that may be something you need to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here