Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these critters on my rose? Do I have to be concerned?

Posted by BlauerPlanet 4 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 22:37

I found these bugs on the rosebuds today. They can fly. I'm not familiar with them. Do I have to be concerned? If yes, what should I do?

DSCF1057

DSCF1059

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these critters on my rose? Do I have to be concerned

Some sort of Hemipteran, true bugs, most have piercing-sucking mouthparts for feeding, which is cool to watch on predators. That might be some sort of plant bug to this westerner, which is not what you want en masse in your yard. Any insecticidal soap will do.

Thank you for the excellent fotos.

Dan

o

This one 'bugs' me. Those long, skinny antennae and muscular back legs....looks like a cross between a cricket and a stinkbug. (My students used to try to trick me with their bug collections, which is why I even think that way.)

o

Dan, what about the Tarnished Plant Bug?

o

Well, in my view the antennae aren't quite right, rhizo, as I don't see the length or palp-type structures on the end in those fotos, which is why I was vague upthread. Legs and antennae are confounding to the coloring. Clearly a Hemipteran and usually bad to ornamentals so action is likely warranted.

If you have to have it down to species, take it in to the Co Extension. Otherwise action. We get these types on our local listserv and very few IDs go by unanswered.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here