Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my plants?!

Posted by doravec 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 22:44

Hey everybody! I am loving this hot weather right now and everything is growing amazingly! I do have a few concerns though, something seems to be making small meals of my potato and pepper leaves...I'm attaching a few pictures of the leaves. Let me know what it could be. I do not want to spray any pesticides, but would rather use something natural; ie. a homemade spray or another plant that has a repelling smell, or something inviting to predators of the bug, etc. Thanks everybody ahead of time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my plants?!

Another picture.

o

That looks like slug, or snail, damage to me.
Cold caffienated coffee sprayed on the leaves can help, shallow containers of stale beer (or yeast mixed in water) placed in the soil can also help. Sharp edged material, egg shells, Diamotaceous Earth, in pretty large quantities, might also help. Encouraging predators of slugs, toads, snakes, birds, to hang around can reduce populations as well.
Slugs, and snails, need a cool, moist environment to live in so eliminating any place, rocks, boards, mulches where those conditions are can also help.

o

Have you seen any telltale slime trails on the soil or plants? Caterpillars could also be a culprit ; there are several kinds which may be found in the dark with a flashlight while you're looking for slugs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here