Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly life sucking, ant attracting bugs

Posted by Athenian USDA 10B/Sunset 22 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 22:45

I was out harvesting some of my first tomatos this season and ran into a terrible infestation of a bug. This isn't the first time I've seen this bug; pepper and eggplants were attacked last year.

This colony was fast growing...I looked over the plant last Friday and didn't see anything. Each bug has an orange hump on its back with horns. I cut the branch off and threw it in the trash but I know there are probably a few left on the plant. What is it and what's the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks

Tomato Pest B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly life sucking, ant attracting bugs

buffalo treehopper nymphs.

No need to cut off a branch. Use direct hits of insecticidal soap. repeat as needed.

o

but she inst in buffalo.. whats that all about.. lol ...

ken

ps: and next time.. put all panic aside.. and ask first.. before you pull out the flamethrower ....

o

• Posted by Athenian USDA 10B/Sunset 22 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 11:31

Many thanks to both of you.

I just read some articles about treehoppers that said they weren't all that damaging but they did destroy a pepper plant of mine last year and severely stunted an eggplant that overwintered fine.

Cutting off the branch was no big deal ...the tomato plant is also a holdover from last year and needs some serious pruning anyway. I'm glad that I didn't take my neighbor's advice to dust everything with Sevin. I'll spray it with some soap today.

Thanks again.

Athena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here